How to grease drive shaft middle bearing?

Finn Riv

48 minutes ago, Rockable said:

You have to remove the plug and screw a grease fitting into it. I dont know the size of the tapped hole but it is small. Probably 1/16 npt. Then, you can use standard grease gun to do it.

I believe that's your slip spline

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finn Riv said:

Dear Rivieara colleagues! How you grease drive shaft middle bearing? Do you have some adapter to grease gun?

Finn: the carrier bearing?  Sealed for life. No grease. The cardan joints have a fitting and aftermarket ujoints sometimes them.

20231010_084321.jpg

I have a grease injector needle. It looks like something a doctor would use, but it has a grease fitting type ball on the end that snaps into the grease gun. I pierced the bearing seal with the needle and gently injected fresh grease into the bearing in a few places.

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B0779J6HTX

You have to take the drive shaft out of the car to do this, it is not something you do when you routinely grease the chassis.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, gungeey said:

Finn: the carrier bearing?  Sealed for life. No grease. The cardan joints have a fitting and aftermarket ujoints sometimes them.

20231010_084321.jpg

Sorry, this is what I think to mean, but wrote different thing.

So that what I had to ask was how to grease cardan joints in the middle. My greasegun head doesn’t fit inside of x-frame.

7 minutes ago, Finn Riv said:

Sorry, this is what I think to mean, but wrote different thing.

So that what I had to ask was how to grease cardan joints in the middle. My greasegun head doesn’t fit inside of x-frame.

Double cardan joints, each gets lubed in one spot. If you're lucky it will accept some grease. Spin your driveshaft and look at your ujoints,  some may have fittings also

20231010_094942.jpg