Hershey Car Deals; the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Steve_Mack_CT

Times are changing.  While we used to joke about "Hershey Prices" - seems like not that long ago average Model A roadsters would show up at Hershey with a $30k ask and sell.  They seem more in line in general, to me anyway.

Yesterday, that $30, 32k would have bought a nice 1935 Ford phaeton, older but very, very presentable maroon with a nice older top, clean interior and an interesting accy. Rear windshield.  Shame on me no pic, it was in the green field IIRC.  Or, a solid looking, complete Full Classic  black 28 Packard conv. Coupe at Parkers Packards, actually just under $30k.

I liked this little 37 Packard 115 club sedan, neat as a pin but less of a hot deal at $24k.  Bear in mind a starting ask from a dealer though.

What did you see that was a great deal, or a seller' pipe dream ?? 😁

20231005_080846.jpg

Speaking of Model As, how about a nicely restored victoria slant window in ever popular green, $18,000 or a maroon slant window sedan, same condition, same $18k ask.  The unrestored 28 - 29 phaeton in front of the giant center looked like a great car to sort and leave alone although I didn't get a price on that one.

@Steve_Mack_CT Steve,  I thought the 1940 Packard 180 4dsd with duel sidemounts was a bargain. Needed everything-or-nothing depending on the new owner. Packard grey, stately , CCCA accepted - $25,000.00 ask. It went to brazil for like $20,000.

Did anyone see if the 1940LaSalle 4 door in the corral on Friday for $6,500 (or best offer) sold ? I had to take the Lord's advice and run away from temptation !!    

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, oldford said:

Here is my deal... Nice, never used overhead set-up for my Model A with the new Burtz engine. Now I just need a set of push rods and it's a go...

I looked at that last year and even went back and looked at it again. My son who was supposed to be my enabler talked me out of it. I could not find any info on that company. I hope it works out great for you.  His price, assuming it was about the same was decent deal. Will be unique that for sure.  Good luck.

• Like 1

My "scores" this year included ...

1. a nice owner's manual for my 1947 T&C at about 1/5th the value (wasn't even searching for one, as they're usually too expensive).

2. a radio for same. It is very unusual to see a T&C without a radio, so I probably will leave it that way, but for $15, how could I not pick it up?

3. a spare taillight for same (I can't get my lens out, and I know it's going to brake if I don't have a spare)

4. a set of four brand-new tires for the 1930 Packard speedster at 1/4th the cost of new.

5. a spare fuse box for the 1930 Packard speedster

6. a few 8-track tapes (God knows why)

7. a tire ashtray

8. a spare owner's manual for 1970 Camaro

9. a Brooklin Models 1:43-scale 1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan.

10. Most importantly, I had a great time

The one item I am upset about leaving on the table was a pair of wind-wing brackets for the 1930 Packard. I had just a few dollars on my person, and the vendor only had an "honesty box" in which to insert money... he was not there. The brackets were not identified, and most the stuff on the table were for Ford (the brackets were definitely for Packard). I have been looking for many years for those brackets (non-framed window type), and his asking price was cheap cheap cheap. By the time I returned to buy them, they were gone. Hindsight: I should have left a few bucks in the jar, taken the brackets, and returned later to pay in full. sic transit gloria mundi 

SOLD:

1940 Lincoln Zephyr sedan (dark blue). You may have seen it in the Red Field, and later in the Car Corral.

• Like 3