find, several vehicles in a field in France

sebastienbuick

23 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

some vehicles are still in good condition and can be saved

Several of the new ones looked ok, but there was a poor old Citroen DS, looks like it could be a real project.  My Dad had a pair of them long ago and I'd really like to find a nice driver.   I'd look at the 2CVs if they were a little closer.  There may have been an SM but I couldn't quite get an angle on it.  That would be interesting to drag home.  Edit:  Pretty sure it's not an SM, silver seen at 12.36

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Friends

Any DS resting on mud for any length of time is going be primarily ferrous oxide. Any remaining useful parts attached to the body work or chassis  should be removable  by two hands without the use of tools.

This is from first hand experience.

John Harley

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angelfish said:

Several of the new ones looked ok, but there was a poor old Citroen DS, looks like it could be a real project.  My Dad had a pair of them long ago and I'd really like to find a nice driver.   I'd look at the 2CVs if they were a little closer.  There may have been an SM but I couldn't quite get an angle on it.  That would be interesting to drag home.  Edit:  Pretty sure it's not an SM, silver seen at 12.36

Yes it's a shame, I would like to recover some to save them.
There are a lot of Citroens and the DS is a good project.
At 9.45 we can see a car under cover, it's a 1955 Renault Juvaquattre, it's a beautiful model.
At 12.36 it's not a Citroen SM, it's a Citroen CX, like that of French President Jacques Chirac

That is a neat video, some cool looking cars as well. As I only had 2 weeks of French in HS I have no idea what the dialogue is. I mean no disrespect but that looks like what I would call a 'junk yard'. Not quite as common here as they used to be but nothing extraordinary. There are probably 3 or 4 large ones within about a 15 minute drive of my house. I assume they are not as common in your area of France?

8 minutes ago, jhh2206 said:

Friends

Any DS resting on mud for any length of time is going be primarily ferrous oxide. Any remaining useful parts attached to the body work or chassis  should be removable  by two hands without the use of tools.

This is from first hand experience.

John Harley

This place is in France but I don't know in which region (north, south of France?), and I don't know if it's a humid region.
The person making the video says he's unlucky because it's raining.

8 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

That is a neat video, some cool looking cars as well. As I only had 2 weeks of French in HS I have no idea what the dialogue is. I mean no disrespect but that looks like what I would call a 'junk yard'. Not quite as common here as they used to be but nothing extraordinary. There are probably 3 or 4 large ones within about a 15 minute drive of my house. I assume they are not as common in your area of France?

The person who made the video says the cars are beautiful and he is happy to see it.
He also says that he has never seen so many abandoned cars.
But he doesn't know cars well, and he's confused between a SIMCA and a Renault.

Yes here in France it is very rare to see several old cars abandoned, I must have seen at most 5 cars in an abandoned field.
When we find an abandoned car, generally there are one or two vehicles, that's all.
I often watch videos in America with abandoned cars, it's impressive! in America you can see large fields full of cars! I would dream of saving many ! :) 

Do you have any photos of abandoned cars near your home ? :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

The person who made the video says the cars are beautiful and he is happy to see it.
He also says that he has never seen so many abandoned cars.
But he doesn't know cars well, and he's confused between a SIMCA and a Renault.

Yes here in France it is very rare to see several old cars abandoned, I must have seen at most 5 cars in an abandoned field.
When we find an abandoned car, generally there are one or two vehicles, that's all.
I often watch videos in America with abandoned cars, it's impressive! in America you can see large fields full of cars! I would dream of saving many ! :) 

Do you have any photos of abandoned cars near your home ? :) 

You would be amazed at the junk yards we have. I will try to get some pics and get them posted for you. Keep your eyes here over the next few weeks. One of the best I have seen was one yard that was organized by vehicle. Something that may be of interest to you, he had a contract with our state police. There must have been over a hundred wrecked and retired state police cars all lined up of varying years.

• Like 2

Wandering the Great American Junkyard is a wonderful way to spend the day.  This is a very small section of a very good yard near my house.  They don't crush the old ones so you can still find cars from the 20s and 30s.   Center in this picture is their lone 57 Buick, but it yielded parts for the one that I'm working on.  Recently we found 3 Chrysler LeBaron convertibles that supplied parts for our own LeBaron. 

image.jpeg.6dca86c9cebf7da9211ead203c76d71c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

You would be amazed at the junk yards we have. I will try to get some pics and get them posted for you. Keep your eyes here over the next few weeks. One of the best I have seen was one yard that was organized by vehicle. Something that may be of interest to you, he had a contract with our state police. There must have been over a hundred wrecked and retired state police cars all lined up of varying years.

Yes, thank you for the photos :)
Last summer I had the chance to go on vacation to America !! :)
And next to the very beautiful town of Kanab in Utah and I saw a place with lots of abandoned cars! I spoke with the owner, he was a very nice person and he told me that I can walk around to see the cars. 
And there was a beautiful 1968 Buick LeSabre 4-door ! a superb project and I would have loved to take it back to France to restore it ! :wub: :wub:
Unfortunately I can't and I left this place looking at this beautiful Buick, with tears in my eyes :( .

woww this place must be superb with police cars ! :) 
Here in France we really like Ford Crown Victorias (2000-2005) and many people are looking for them.
It's rare to see old police cars.
I have a 1978 dodge monaco police :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Angelfish said:

Wandering the Great American Junkyard is a wonderful way to spend the day.  This is a very small section of a very good yard near my house.  They don't crush the old ones so you can still find cars from the 20s and 30s.   Center in this picture is their lone 57 Buick, but it yielded parts for the one that I'm working on.  Recently we found 3 Chrysler LeBaron convertibles that supplied parts for our own LeBaron. 

image.jpeg.6dca86c9cebf7da9211ead203c76d71c.jpeg

woww superb photo and superb location!
I would dream of buying several of the cars in the photo!
What is the model on the left of the Buick that you got parts from? a 40's chevrolet ?
And the yellow car in the background on the right ?

Are the cars for sale? we can see the back of the red car on the left, it seems in good condition !

54 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I am familiar with your Dodge Monaco, I believe a lot of the police cars are Chevy Caprice as that is what our state -Maryland- used for quite a while. I dont think I can get back to that yard now as they have changed ownership.

The Chevrolet Caprices are superb too ! :)   and they are rarer than the Ford Crown Victoria.
A friend bought an old 2005 Ford Crown Victoria from the Los Angeles Police Department, and he managed to find the officer who worked with that car.
And now he's talking to this policeman from Los Angeles and from France he's sending him photos of his Ford :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

woww superb photo and superb location!
I would dream of buying several of the cars in the photo!
What is the model on the left of the Buick that you got parts from? a 40's chevrolet ?
And the yellow car in the background on the right ?

Are the cars for sale? we can see the back of the red car on the left, it seems in good condition !

Now I'll have to head back out there and find out for you.

• Like 2