Crossing into the US with Canadian car parts...

Lahti35

Now that the covid stuff is at a low ebb I'd like to go just over the Canadian border and buy some 30's Ford car parts. These are axles that are too big/heavy to ship so it's a pick it up thing. 

I've looked into the border websites and their list of rules/regs/forms, etc... Didn't find anything really helpful for antique parts. The parts are less than $200 from an individual, nothing expensive. Does anyone have some real life experience in this? 

The last time we brought antique parts home from Canada (pre-Covid), we hadn't intended to buy anything. We were traveling in a compact convertible and happened across an opportunity we couldn't refuse. The only way to retrieve all the things we wanted, was to put the top down and arrange things in the back set as best we could, securing everything with a network of ropes tied to the front seat, back bumper and door handles requiring entry over the doors.

The border guards on both sides had a good laugh as something akin to the Beverly Hillbillies attempted to pass through. With an honest explanation, out ID's, and a hand written receipt from the seller, we had no problems bringing our pile of stuff home.

This was before the requirement of a passport to visit Canada and the whole trip was just a few days long through the corners of Alberta and BC. I don't recall that we were charged any taxes or fees, but that could certainly have changed by now. We brought back no alcohol nor tobacco products. If you are a responsible, mature adult, there shouldn't be any difficulties - but get the "official" word before you go. Good luck and enjoy the trip, eh?

• Like 2

I used to visit the flea market across lake Erie regular. Be honest to the guards. Never paid anything . I remember on  a particular Sunday , a long week end in Canada the lady guard asked me if I had anything to declare. I was coming back from the flea market in wester NY. I said it is all flea market stuff. " I am in a hurry to go home, this is a long week end." Have a nice day, Sir" Never mis lead any border guard. 

• Like 3

All - I bought this unrestored original 1919 Kissel in Ontario several years ago and had absolutely no problem getting it across the border to Detroit. The border personnel merely looked it over, mostly in curiosity, not in depth inspection, and were very helpful. Minimum paperwork for any old cars. 
Enjoy! Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0572.jpeg

• Like 2

If only it was that easy coming the other way. In my experence U.S. Customs go over the Export paperwork with a fine tooth comb. And thoroughly inspect the car itself.

Canadian Customs are easy. They just want to collect the taxes and fees. The car itself is of little or no interest to them.

A few years back I got my sister to take a 28 Chrysler axle from Sarnia Ontario into the states for onward shipping. She explained to customs that the parts were not for resale and she had no issues.

Also if you say the Ford parts are of USA manufacture being reimported to the States there should be no issues or duty.

If you are importing parts or tires from USA into Canada, to be used on a vehicle that is older than 25 years old, there is no duty, as long as the exporter or importer uses the right HS code.

Some information about duty and brokerage fees into Canada

Auto parts for vehicles >25 years old are duty free into Canada no matter the country of origin. Ask the shipper to indicate HS code 9966.00.00 on the customs declaration. This Tariff Item of the Customs Tariff gives duty free status to "articles for use solely or principally with those vehicles manufactured more than 25 years prior to the date of importation". Information about the interpretation of this tariff item can be found at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d10/d10-15-20-eng.html

As stated in this memo, eligible articles are limited to those solely or principally for qualifying vehicles and would have to be in keeping with the original appearance and configuration of the vehicle. These may be either original articles or reproductions.

Articles that incorporate modern safety features or other technological developments can be considered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00, provided that they are solely or principally for use with qualifying vehicles and do not compromise the original configuration of the vehicle. An example would be disc brakes designed specifically for a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe.

General purpose articles that can be used in vehicles covered and not covered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00 are not eligible for consideration.

So reproduction door panels would be eligible as they are specific to a vehicle over 25 years old, but tires that fit both a TR6 and a 2011 Ford would not.

On the brokerage/handling fee issue, Canada Post will collect a fee of $9.95 as a handling fee, if duties and/or taxes were collected on the shipment.

On shipments with a value of <$2500, there are ways to avoid the brokerage fees charged by UPS, Fedex etc, by clearing the shipment yourself. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Prior to receiving your shipment, you can contact the courier company and inform them of your wish to self-clear any shipments that are addressed to you and on which brokerage fees are applicable. The company will explain their procedures to you.

2. As an alternative, when a casual shipment is delivered to you, you can refuse delivery and advise the courier company of your intention to self-clear directly with the CBSA. In this case, please ensure that you take note of the unique shipment identifier number on the package, as the shipment will be returned to the courier’s warehouse.

With both options, you will need to visit your local CBSA office to complete a B15 (Casual Goods Accounting Document) and provide them with specific details, including the courier’s name, the unique shipment identifier number, a description of the goods and their value so that the CBSA can correctly assess the goods. This information is usually indicated on the shipment’s invoice, which will be provided to you by the courier company. When you have paid the applicable duties and/or taxes to the CBSA, you will be given an official receipt indicating that the goods have been accounted for. You will need to present this receipt to the courier’s warehouse where your shipment is stored, in order for the courier to release your shipment to you.

Despite what you may be told by the courier, you have the right to do this and clear the goods yourself. See http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d17/d17-4-0-eng.pdf and in particular paragraph 56.