For Sale: 1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III Sport Coupe - "Beautiful condition, Runs and drives nice" - Bloomfield, CT - Not Mine - 4/25/24 Still available

For sale on Facebook: 1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III Sport Coupe in Bloomfield, CT  -  $26,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2172604669597309/-1958-Lincoln-Continental-Mark-III-Sport-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III Sport Coupe

• Driven 53,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green

1958 Lincoln Continental 53k miles 2 door 430 v8. Car is in beautiful condition, runs and drives nice. Call Jeff if interested. [hidden information]

image.png.2ebf2aacd334de3e2aff81f27c84a38a.png

image.png.1fc0bb3060f50c1a5f767400af8cbe45.png

image.png.c29231fb13e670a11e5a6169a5e68522.png

image.png.6cf9684c237e00b387a1b6f9a73b54c8.png

image.png.1f77eb83ea4f0835fc19553622c6d253.png

image.png.f6c7f39bf09bf9f798063cb3618f8d96.png

image.png.f347d594b12b63945117ad0bcc8107c3.png

image.png.3cf4fe1aaaa68534e4270ecf26a8b843.png

image.png.6cdbc4bea81425527525f564aae426e3.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Reynard said:

Rather shabby and dirty interior for $26.5k.

What's the black stuff on the rear window/top trim?  It appears in all of the rear angle photos.

Car appears to be wet - maybe it's raining...

100% in agreement with you Reynard. Would it cost a couple of hundred dollars to have this car detailed? If the seller was asking 15k for this beautiful car, I would probably give him a pass, but at this price c'mon man do the right thing. Would the seller put his house on the market looking this scruffy? I think not. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neil morse said:

I have never been a fan of these behemoth land yachts, although this appears to be a decent example.  Also, a car of this size is certainly not what comes to mind when you hear the term "sport coupe!"

The 1958-'60 Lincolns and Continental Marks are an 'acquired bad taste'.   Fortunately, my 'bad taste' was formed in 1958 when I was 6 years old, decided they were just the most wonderful luxury cars...oddball kid...I know.  In that era of FoMoCo applying evocative names to their hardtop models such as the Fords as 'victorias' and Mercury as 'phaetons', the Lincolns and Continentals were "landaus", even the two door models.   None of it made any sense except in an effort to attach a bit of cache to their offerings. 

Anyone considering owning one of these unibody Lincolns or Continentals: be forewarned they were prone to rust damage as much as any of the early unibody cars from other makers.   Notwithstanding the then state-of-the-art full dipping of the body shell in huge vats of rust-proofing primer.  Check very carefully the torque boxes that run the length of the under structure.  If you see holes in the rocker panels...run away!   These are hideously expensive cars to restore, many components are unique to the series and therefore very costly.  The convertible is your best choice simply because it is so over-the-top outrageous, a real period piece that will never be duplicated.  With most any car, buy the absolutely best one you can find and afford, even if you have to have it shipped across the country to you.  

BTW:  The unibody Lincolns and Continentals cost Ford millions to develop to the point where the interiors in the 1958 models were embarrassingly cheap and chintzy, not on par with their competitors.  The 1958 Lincoln Capri interior looks like it should be in a Ford Custom 300!  Customers complained and the 1959 and 1960 models are much better.  

Edited by 58L-Y8
Addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FWIW here's my 1 cent on these cars:

Old man Henry bought Lincoln for his boy to run and keep him busy so he wouldn't have time to mettle with the Ford products. Henry really didn't want to change and thought the model T was THE car to represent Ford for years to come  Edsel really made something out of Lincoln because of his adeptness for art and design. In the late 20's and early 30's he worked with many coach builders; Judkins, Brunn, Briggs etc.  Then E.T. Gregorie came in and with Edsel's recently honed skills in automotive design from working with the coach builders were used with Gregorie.  Fast forward in time when 'The Duece' (Henry Ford II) became the all powerful at Ford and brought in the whiz kids.  They got rid of E.T. Gregorie and Edsel died so the designs of Lincoln started going downhill. Which brings us to this 58 Lincoln.  These car look heavy and don't have that elegant smooth flowing design that Edsel loved.   I wonder what a Ford and a Lincoln would have been had Edsel lived a life into his 80's.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Be it as it may I think old man Ford owed Edsel a lot. He very possibly saved Ford from the creditors. 

Edsel saved Henry's arse a number of times.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III Sport Coupe - "Beautiful condition, Runs and drives nice" - Bloomfield, CT - Not Mine - 4/25/24 Still available