1929 Peerless 8 model 125 7 passenger sedan.

mikewest

When I was a kid (around 1970) my dad and his partner in a Shell Garage  in Livonia  NY had a collection of cars. Ther  were wheeler dealers  , and would buy anything of value.  The big sedan next to the 35 Ford sedan was bought in Olean NY at the annual car show and flea market in 1970. The guy wanted $2000.00  for it but he wasnt getting much action. I pestered dad  to " Make a Deal" but he kept a eye on it from a distance. He said lets wait until the end of the day. I walked past it about 20 times  and kept looking it over. It was a clean honest old car , original interior and paint. It ran well , and had a great eagle on the radiator cap.  Finally about 4pm dad walked over and made a deal . $1500.00 cash and we owned a Peerless. 

Dad drove it home ,it ran well but he was very disappointed in its speed. It had lots of power but 45-50 was all he dared push it. He didnt like ,I could tell. He had a 1930 Franklin  7 passenger sedan and a 1930 Hudson 8 that both would run 60 mph , no problem. Dad dolled it up and we took it to Hershey that fall. It didnt sell at $2000.00. 

There was a salesman at Hayes and Andrews Ford in Lima , Nick Krest. He was a big guy and fell in love with the Peerless. Dad got it sold  for  $2000.00 . Nick ran it around  for a spell after Hershey and it went into storage. 

image.png.2c753945fdd46dc6c249c6ac8e78433b.png

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)

Yes it was the biggest model made , straight 8.  I remember it had a 3 speed transmission. Back then nobody thought of overdrives or a different ring and pinion.  If I owned it today it would hold a special place in the garage . Off subject, but in 1958 dad passed on a 1929 J Duesy at Watkins Glen Concours for $2000.00. It was a well worn sedan that ran , but not well. Instead he bought the 1930 Franklin seven passenger sedan I mentioned in the story above  for $350.00 . As they say "Those were the days".

A lot of cool cars showed up at Watkins Glenn in the late 40s and 50s.

Wasn't the Round Door Rolls for sale up in your neck of the woods?   My dad always said that in the late 50s 8500 dollars was what bought you the best car in the world.   Both the Round Door and the Mormon Meteor were for sale back then for 8500. 

I never heard of them but the Finger Lakes , upstate NY had some great treasures. The rear engine , aircooled  car made in Syracuse (THE JULIAN) that went to Harrah's was only 30 miles  from our town. My dad said it was sold for a storage lien  and it ended up in Webster NY. That car was less than $5000. If not familiar with that car, take a few minutes and read about it. I was too young  to really push my dad... but lucky he saved what he did.   

julian.PNG

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)

Interesting discussion and photos, Mike.

My KPAIE list has 6(2)  '29 Peerless 8-125s. Two are ghosts or leads, 6 reasonably certain to exist.

> Florida 138" Sedan restored to Condition 1 - maroon

> Another  8-125 7-P Sedan - green

> a 5-P 130" w.b. Sedan - red

> Ed Matthis to Brian Coffee 2011, sedan - dark blue

> one bought from Hank Jodry in 1972 by Mike's dad for $550 (same one you mentioned?) - black

> a 130" w.b. Coupe Ralph Cartonio showed me a picture of at 2013 Hershey
* one possibly seen at a Stowe car show 1970s

* Roscoe Stelford, Sr. Collection in Pingree Grove, IL to Bill Backer & Glenn Chisolm. Sedan, possibly at a museum in Fulton, MO

plus - sssshhh! - I  recently found a restored one in Germany in fire truck livery - red

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Interesting discussion and photos, Mike.

My KPAIE list has 6(2)  '29 Peerless 8-125s. Two are ghosts or leads, 6 reasonably certain to exist.

> Florida 138" Sedan restored to Condition 1 - maroon

> Another  8-125 7-P Sedan - green

> a 5-P 130" w.b. Sedan - red

> Ed Matthis to Brian Coffee 2011, sedan - dark blue

> one bought from Hank Jodry in 1972 by Mike's dad for $550 (same one you mentioned?) - black

> a 130" w.b. Coupe Ralph Cartonio showed me a picture of at 2013 Hershey
* one possibly seen at a Stowe car show 1970s

* Roscoe Stelford, Sr. Collection in Pingree Grove, IL to Bill Backer & Glenn Chisolm. Sedan, possibly at a museum in Fulton, MO

plus - sssshhh! - I  recently found a restored one in Germany in fire truck livery - red

Jeff a few clews that might find our old car. It was a 3 speed trans, it had artillery wheels, it had a wonderful eagle on the rad, it had white spare tire covers made of canvas that said 1929 Peerless on them, (barely can be seen in the pictures) and 7 pass sedan .(not limo)  It was sold from here by Mr Krest in or around 1972.

Just now, mikewest said:

Jeff a few clews that might find our old car. It was a 3 speed trans, it had artillery wheels, it had a wonderful eagle on the rad, it had white spare tire covers made of canvas that said 1929 Peerless on them, (barely can be seen in the pictures) and 7 pass sedan .(not limo)  It was sold from here by Mr Krest in or around 1972.

Jeff where did you get the info about hank Jodry????  Was he from NY or Penn?? The $550 seems low. It would be fun to track our car down. Im curious how many had the wood wheels you have found?

I don't remember where I got it from, or where Hank lived. A long time ago you posted something about someone driving an 8-125 a long ways back from somewhere at high speed, or trying to go high speed...maybe from that. I sent a PM last night with most of the data about Mr. Jodry's car.

Jeff , Im betting that out of the survivor 8-125 cars, there is only one that has wood wheels, like dads. The others Ive seen are all wire wheel cars. The wood wheels may be the key to finding  our old car. Thank YOU  for your efforts on keeping track of these rare cars. The story I told you about the high speed ride was in my 32  Master 8.  The wrist pins used to rattle pretty bad when it warmed up. Im going to check the roaster of the Peerless club   for 125s. Mike 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, alsancle said:

A lot of cool cars showed up at Watkins Glenn in the late 40s and 50s.

Wasn't the Round Door Rolls for sale up in your neck of the woods?   My dad always said that in the late 50s 8500 dollars was what bought you the best car in the world.   Both the Round Door and the Mormon Meteor were for sale back then for 8500. 

How  about Al Ferraras taper tailed  SJ , wasnt it Clark Gables car new??

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You are thinking of his SSJ.  I think he paid 12k in the early 60s.

image.jpeg.20a9b9b3af639ba8fc39a9aacd02aaf2.jpeg

He told the story how he bought it at Auburn one year. A man that owned a construction company owned the SSJ, Al said he went to look at it and he was shown the car.  He was invited into the owners office and al sat across from him. The guy said the car wasnt really for sale , but what have you got in mind?? Al said he dumped a bag of cash out on the table and owner said how much is there?? Al told him and owner opened the top drawer , slid the cash in and said you OWN IT. I have no reason to nor believe  the story.

• Like 2

Mike -- did you get on the KPAIE spreadsheet? My suggestion the car in Germany may be connected to your Dad's is solely based on it coming from New York. Some other possibilities are Missouri and Ohio.

I drove to Fulton to check out some leads on Peerlesses there in 2016. Two good ol' boys(Mr. Backer and Mr. Chisholm) bought a ton of Peerlesses back 30 years ago when the massive Stelford Peerless auction happened...the collection where the Cord Prototype was found...Pingree Grove, IL. The cars included two CCCA Classics, a 1932 Deluxe Master 8 and a 1932 Custom 8; the last of the Peerless V-Type Eights, a 1928 Mod. 69(total 8-69 production only 369 for that year); and a 1929 8-125. I saw a picture of the Eight-125 at the time most were auctioned, Condition 5, wheels missing, but mostly there. I showed up there with my friend Tom, toured the museum, and asked if I could see either a '28 or '29 Peerless if they were still there.  Both of the local collectors have died, but many of their cars wound up in an excellent place called Auto World Museum. All the cars there are in restored shape, and I had a tip that there were still one or two Peerless cars there stored off-premises, perhaps where they keep the ones not yet restored. The museum has 150 cars....80 on display. The tipster, an antique car broker from Texas, found the two '32s there and sold them to an overseas buyer. 

When I asked the volunteer at the desk about seeing any Peerless they may have, I was told no, the person with the key was out of town. While I was basically banging my head against the desk, Tom said I had driven 1,700 miles to see the '28 Peerless, maybe she could make an exception or call someone else. That was putting a lot of pressure on the 18-year-old staffer, and I'm a former museum curator, so we left, and I drove back to Idaho.  Not sure the  8-125 is there or if it's the one your family had.

A car collector in Dayton, Ohio has an Eight-125, too. Don't know much about it.

6 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Mike -- did you get on the KPAIE spreadsheet? My suggestion the car in Germany may be connected to your Dad's is solely based on it coming from New York. Some other possibilities are Missouri and Ohio.

I drove to Fulton to check out some leads on Peerlesses there in 2016. Two good ol' boys bought a ton of Peerlesses back 30 years ago when the massive Stelford Peerless auction happened...the collection where the Cord Prototype was found...Pingree Grove, IL. The cars included two CCCA Classics, a 1932 Deluxe Master 8 and a 1932 Custom 8; the last of the Peerless V-Type Eights, a 1928 Mod. 69(production 2_ _ for that year); and a 1929 8-125. I saw a picture of the latter, Condition 5, wheels missing, but mostly there. I showed up there with my friend Tom, toured the museum, and asked if I could see either a '28 or '29 Peerless if they were still there.  Both of the local collectors have died, but many of their cars wound up in an excellent place called Auto World Museum. All the cars there are in restored shape, and I had a tip that there were still one or two Peerless cars there stored off-premises, perhaps where they keep the ones not yet restored. The museum has 150 cars....80 on display. The tipster, an antique car broker from Texas, found the two '32s there and sold them to an overseas buyer. 

When I asked the volunteer at the desk about seeing any Peerless they may have, I was told no, the person with the key was out of town. While I was basically banging my head against the desk, Tom said I had driven 1,700 miles to see the '28 Peerless, maybe she could make an exception or call someone else. That was putting a lot of pressure on the 18-year-old staffer, and I'm a former museum curator, so we left, and I drove back to Idaho.  Not sure the  8-125 is there or if it's the one your family had.

A car collector in Dayton, Ohio kas an Eight-125, too. Don't know much about it.

Thank you Jeff, I just emailed Coffee.

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

You are thinking of his SSJ.  I think he paid 12k in the early 60s.

image.jpeg.20a9b9b3af639ba8fc39a9aacd02aaf2.jpeg

He told the story how he bought it at Auburn one year. A man that owned a construction company owned the SSJ, Al said he went to look at it and he was shown the car.  He was invited into the owners office and al sat across from him. The guy said the car wasnt really for sale , but what have you got in mind?? Al said he dumped a bag of cash out on the table and owner said how much is there?? Al told him and owner opened the top drawer , slid the cash in and said you OWN IT. I have no reason to nor believe  the story.

Well, with this interest in the PEERLESS 8-125....I shall add this little five-minute video from 2016. A magnificent concours-level restoration of a car produced in numbers equivalent to Duesenberg production numbers: 1,163. Too bad more of them aren't around. I think it is one of the very best cars Peerless produced. 5 or 10 known.

https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13399004_1196686380381571_916170627_n.mp4?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=985c63&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&_nc_ohc=l41k7VQD1QYAX-gBSiK&_nc_rml=0&_nc_ht=video-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AfBeJ6NtCj70rqDTBs7dGk7cubEUPvUnAGw8txXISuwAEA&oe=65179949

I'll try to find a still photo, too:

June 2017 – barryscarshows.........taken at The Elegance event in 2017. Photo by Barryscarshows at Wordpress.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:01 PM, jeff_a said:

I drove to Fulton to check out some leads on Peerlesses there in 2016. Two good ol' boys(Mr. Backer and Mr. Chisholm) bought a ton of Peerlesses back 30 years ago when the massive Stelford Peerless auction happened...the collection where the Cord Prototype was found...Pingree Grove, IL. The cars included two CCCA Classics, a 1932 Deluxe Master 8 and a 1932 Custom 8; the last of the Peerless V-Type Eights, a 1928 Mod. 69(total 8-69 production only 369 for that year); and a 1929 8-125. I saw a picture of the Eight-125 at the time most were auctioned, Condition 5, wheels missing, but mostly there. I showed up there with my friend Tom, toured the museum, and asked if I could see either a '28 or '29 Peerless if they were still there.  Both of the local collectors have died, but many of their cars wound up in an excellent place called Auto World Museum. All the cars there are in restored shape, and I had a tip that there were still one or two Peerless cars there stored off-premises, perhaps where they keep the ones not yet restored. The museum has 150 cars....80 on display. The tipster, an antique car broker from Texas, found the two '32s there and sold them to an overseas buyer. 

A car collector in Dayton, Ohio has an Eight-125, too. Don't know much about it.

Yes Jeff thank you for the list. I havent reached out to only 2 people on the list so far. No replys. Keep digging . do you have a picture of the Germany  car FIRETRUCK?? wood or wire wheels??

Wire. If you go to "Hamburg Motor Classics Peerless" there's even a video of this 1929 Model Eight-125. I could understand a car show reviewer across the pond getting dates and models a little off.  Only heard of three Peerlesses  in Germany, and officially there were four years Peerless' cars sported straight-eights('29, '30, '31, '32), but this fire engine red Peerless is unmistakenly a 1929 Model 8-125. German folks are pretty good at separating the various antebellum* BMW and Mercedes-Benz models, to appropriate an American term, but not every German oldtimer collector is versed in American classics. I've never been to Germany**, but wouldn't mind finding out more about this Peerless fire truck.

It says it's a "1931 Peerless Master Eight". Pardon my French, but: Was zum Teufel?

Peerless fire truck | A Peerless Master 8 at the Hamburg Mot ...

* Entre les deux guerres would be a more accurate term in Europe. When I lived in Kansas City, I lived in an antebellum mansion(pre-1861), but the former term might describe 1919 to1939 to a European.

** My Dad lived there for some time in a Bavarian castle.

• 2 weeks later...

A photo found on autogallery.org.ru...over 20 years old

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 2.38.31 PM.png

...uncanny how it matches the recent photo above. Maybe they are the same vehicle. Don't know if it's from the States or somewhere else. It comes up when you type "Oldtimer. Cars. Peerless". No description of car. I hadn't seen this in awhile.