Rust tinged gasoline, 64 Bonneville

Robert G. Smits

I am in the process of rehabilitating a 64 Bonneville I purchased pre-Covid and has been sitting ever since.  I have no idea when it was last driven on a regular basis.  This was a running car when it was unloaded from the transport several years ago.  When I replaced the fuel pump a few days ago I decided to collect a sample before I hooked up the line to the carbs.  See photo.  Do I have any options other than dropping the tank and have it relined?  Fresh gas on the left.  Thanks

IMG_3132.jpg

I would pull the tank and have it flushed and sealed.    While it might take a few hours and $$$,  removing the tank is probably cheaper in the long run in both time 

and money.    Think of all the things bad fuel could screw up..... and you would need to track them down.    Once done you can forget the fuel tank as a potential problem

Decades ago I guess the gasoline would last a long time in fuel tanks and cans in the garage.   

Modern fuels are like cream puffs and potato salad at a 4th of July picnic, they just do not last very long in storage. I think it has to do with lower emission blends, but whatever, the fuels turn gummy and sour quickly. My experience (California blends) within a year sometimes sooner. 

I remember reading articles written in the 1940s to 1970s about "storing your car" always said fill the tank completely because it was the tiny bit of air at the top of the tank that caused all the problems.  Today it is the fuel itself. Long term storage? always best with an empty tank. (carburetor too) 

Waking up a car that has been sitting? 100% of the time you need to perform a full fuel system inspection cleaning and likely some parts replacement. Tank, lines, pump, carb. Removal, visual inspection and parts replace.

Yes, PERHAPS you will find them clean and fully functional. Then you reassemble things and enjoy the car. 

Start using the car and just assume that the fuel system is clean and working? Almost guaranteed you will find out that it was not clean when you are stopped on the side of the road.  Personally, I ALWAYS prefer to fix things in my garage than on the side of the road. 

Lots of discussion on these boards about fuel tank sealers, vs just "cleaning" (and with what cleaners).

Remove the tank; flashlight or borescope to give it a good look and then search the parts suppliers and see if there is an affordable new tank available for your car. A couple hundred dollars for a reproduction is usually way cheaper than messing with an old rusty tank.