Rebuilding wooden spoke wheels.

Mattml430

13 minutes ago, Machinist_Bill said:

I've been watching this thread, and being a machinist, I have seen all kinds of machinery. But I have to tell you that I have been to 3 whorehouses, 2 County fairs, and one Hog butcherin' and have NEVER seen anything like this!

Your creative use of an old lathe to make a vertical boring mill is very impressive! Nice work!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I couldn’t bare to see that big old lathe all go to China to be turned into a BBQ. Some of it had to go but it was nice to save a little bit of it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

They look like a new penny, Matt. Impressive to see how it's done, with no Phillips screws in sight. Is the head supervisor still there?

Yes mate he’s still wondering around Victoria. Staying at Auntynorms hassling him about the Phillips screws being used. 

Thanks Norm. I make them about an inch long and then cut them off just under the outer rim surface. Makes putting them together a hell of a lot easier. Having a short dowel trying to get them in on an angle they can tend to fall out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

They look great!  Those appear to have Kelsey felloes, which use a separate lug and a flat bottom lug nut, both available from the Model T vendors.  Each Kelsey 88 rim has one hefty tab that fits over one of the lug bolts and keeps the rim from spinning relative to the felloe.

kelsey_88_rim_with_lug.jpg

kelsey_lug_and_nut.jpg

kelsey_rim_and_felloe.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...