Anyone care to take a guess what colors were used on this car? 1930 La Salle

TnTony

Hi TnTony

This should be what you are looking for. From what I can make out on the lower panels box on your build sheet, you have color combination 107, as it appears you can make out the first 3 letters.... Roa.

This info is from the Lasalle, Cadillac's Companion Car Book. Good luck with your restoration, we are just over 4 years into our 1930 Lasalle restoration.

20230910_195124.jpg

20230910_195134.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Gary, Maybe it is painted somewhat like it was originally intended. Still what's got me is it looks like the colors were marked through and changed to something else. I've just had it since May runs and drives rather well aside from the tires being distorted from being old with long sitting spells. I did learn something cool in my La Salle internet searches. If you ever wondered what Edith and Archie Bunker were singing at the end of their intro song it was "Gee our old La Salle ran great"  "Those were the days"

IMG_8765.JPG

Cool!  Love club sedans. We have been talking about this color combo in relation to a Lincoln. In the 80s, everybody  painted cars in this color combination.  Ed Minnie says brown/beige/orange was a factory Cadillac color combo.  Personally, I would powder coat the wheels the fender color and change the tires to black walls. And I think the car will look fantastic.

• Like 2

Thanks, Yea I love the design. Rather large and stately but much sportier looking in person than pictures suggest. Kind of felt the same way about the color scheme but it fits the car well. As 30s car gazers maybe we've just seen it a lot more than other folks.

Nice looking car. Colors are period appropriate. I would do the usual 2020's treatment to it.........black wall tires, remove the side mount mirrors. The wind wings are not the factory offered items, and I never cared for them myself. Car has great lines, and the mirrors and wind wings interfear with the original design. Less is more........once dialed in, they are good drivers. With the 4.5 to 1 rear, try and keep it under 50mph or the engine gets very busy. I probably have seen 300-400 of the early 30's build sheets. Cross outs are common. Best guess is they typed out the build sheet before production, received the special request for colors, so they just changed it and continued on with the build.  Cadillac liked to build cars in batches........so they were probably building ten or fifteen club sedans for general inventory and just pulled the sheet for get the order done right. Enjoy your new car........I have tens of thousands of miles on the early 30's V-8's. Wayne has lots of parts if you need anything. Best of luck, Ed

• Like 3

Thanks Ed, I'm with you on the black walls. Feel like I need spats on to drive it. Wind wings too. Tell tale sign for me was one of the top brackets is crooked so it must have been the same guy who did the pin stripes. Seems to have plenty of get up and go though and I sure wanted to find out how much but the tires just aren't up for it. So for now I've got a 1 car museum in my garage and just trying to get everything correct as possible.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking car! I’m working on a ‘31 Ccp with about the same color scheme tho my body color has a bit more yellow/Manila in it.

If you need any parts, I have lots and I’ve made over 95 molds to recast the old pot metal parts in bronze. 
 As for your tires, if they are real old, change them. If they just have flat areas, sometimes they will round out as you drive the car. Motion and heat sometimes helps them “reround” themselves. 
 Wayne

yachtflame@yahoo.com

413-658-4416

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it's baby steps around here but I finally removed the orange pinstripes and repainted the wheel centers. Wind wings are on the shelf. Anybody that can recommend a reputable plating business in the Nashville area? Graves in Florence Al has closed and I'd rather deliver some pieces to be re-chromed in person.

IMG_0385.JPG

• Like 2

Nice car definitely an improvement with the wheel center color 

I have a 1931 Town Sedan.  the peak? above my windscreen is chromed yours looks to be chromed also

I wonder if this was a factory option 

• Like 1

Thanks. Pretty sure they were painted. Found this photo on the web that matches 2 different photos with a price and phone number from a previous owner that were in the paperwork for the car when I bought it. It was sold by a Patyck to a Stever in about 2006 but I've had no luck contacting either of them to try and trace it back further.

our 30 la salle.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 7:17 PM, Dave39MD said:

I have had nice plating work done by S&H in Madison, TN. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, Ended up 100 even with tax and shipping. Quick turnaround. I shipped on 2/17 and got them back 3/5. Well worth it.

IMG_0404.JPG

• Like 2

As I suspected "simple" did not apply here. Whoever rigged this bumper/rack arms on the car(put the inner bumper brace to the outside of the tail pan instead of behind it) sawed the frame studs off leaving them too short for the correct part. O well, new experience coming up.

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

• Like 1

Not near as bad as I thought. Having never been here I thought with my luck they were studs and they'd have to be drilled out but not the case. I just need a trip to town for longer bolts. Whew!