Help finding 91' Drier/Drier line alternatives

PaulP117

Hey y'all, back for more AC fun questions. I found one of my ac lines has busted open when i was re charging the system 2 weeks ago, the line that busted open is one of the rubber lines that is connected to the drier assembly that sits next to the compressor, and to me it appears these lines are connected to the drier itself and cannot be disconnected and replaced? and i cannot for the life of me find a part number for the entire drier assembly or any aftermarket ones that look like the one from the 91 Reatta. Any idea? And also something else i cant find an answer for, when re charging and filling the Reatta's AC system should I be filling it from the high side or low side or does it not matter? Because I'm able to use an actual r134a shop machine and it allows me to decide if i fill the system from the high side port or low side port OR both. I have a feeling that me filling it from the high side is what caused the line to pop to begin with. Picture posted below of busted line >

Edited by PaulP117 (see edit history)

I know the 91 has a different A/C arrangement but I am pretty sure the item pictured from near the compressor is called a muffler or something like that, and all models have that arrangement. From memory, the assembly in the photo bolts on to the rear of the compressor and there are two flexible hoses, one suction and one outlet which connects to the condenser. The accumulator/drier is up by the coolant reservoir I believe.

interesting yeah so they call it a muffler in the service manual, i was able to find it with that keyword. It doesnt seem like a part anyone sells aftermarket nor can i even fine the OE part anywhere. How hard would it be to just bypass it i wonder 

You are correct that the 1991 has different lines than the previous years of Reattas. 

In '91 they changed the ABS from Teves to Bosch...this moved ABS components around in the engine compartment 

and displaced the accumulator/dryer from the drivers side of the engine compartment to the passenger side.  This 

altered the routing and length of the A/C lines.    

The good news the Riviers used many of the same components and I believe the 1991 -1993 Riviera used the same 

A/C lines as the 1991 Reatta.....because Rivieras are easier to find that may help you locate the parts. 

Keep in mind that all year Reatta and Riviera shared lots of parts so if you have trouble finding the part for a Reatta

check into the part used on a Riviera.      Unfortunately many auto parts stores look under their Reatta listing and 

then they give up. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...