Transmission and rear axle lube

Axial_Flow

Good day,

What is the modern recommended lube for the transmission and rear axle for a `31 DG?

I am accustom to running a 600w for my 30s and older vehicles, but this being an advanced Chrysler engineered product, I wanted to ask this group.

The current lube in the rear axle seems closer to 90wt, perhaps GL1 as it does not have much of a smell as GL5 does.

Please advise

You might already have this info, but Richard Widman has written papers worth reading before you decide. GL-1 in a differential sounds scary. 

Transaxle_oil.pdf (widman.biz)

You can also do a search and you'll find many threads and articles on the internet on the topic.

My truck isn't done yet but I like the thought of GL-4 for trans and GL-5 at the rear.

Always an interesting topic to see what others think and use....

A 1930 DC manual I have states to use "Fluid Gear Lubricant".  It also mentions it can be cut with kerosene (1/2 pint or 1/4 pint depending on transmission or rear axle).

The product below, would this be appropriate or not recommended?  Again, I am pulling from my GM experience.  I assume the transmission in the DG has yellow metal bearings.

https://store.fillingstation.com/detail/VT-40/Chevrolet_600W_GEAR_LUBRICANT_QUARTUSE_19111936.html