1953 Buick Roadmaster Sedan - sitting under the shed

Dosmo

Saw this Roadmaster while out on a short road trip yesterday - rear wheels are off the ground.  Sorry for the grainy photo - couldn't take my time getting the pic, due to traffic.

After getting home and checking it out closer, I initially thought there was an A/C vent on top of the rear fender.  But, I think what I see is just the corner where the trunk lid is slightly open, not a vent.

I think this is a car I first spied about 40 years ago sitting in a yard about 45 minutes north of here.  I always wondered what happened to it.

It hasn't aged well.

IMG_2038.JPEG

• Like 2

It is hard to tell, but more I look the more I think that might well be an airconditioning fresh air intake vent. Hard to see if the tubes inside the car are there.

53 was first year for GM factory airconditioning, correct? A Roadie would have been a prime candidate for having it.

Are there cur dogs or hillbillies toting shotguns around the place?

I found this car's twin under a carport in California in the '70's. Kept an eye on it for years until the original owner passed away. The estate practically gave it away. After a good cleaning and a new battery, it became the perfect flip helping greatly to finance the purchase of a '69 Mustang.

At the time, I wouldn't have been seen dead driving that big, blue Buick.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

It is hard to tell, but more I look the more I think that might well be an airconditioning fresh air intake vent. Hard to see if the tubes inside the car are there.

53 was first year for GM factory airconditioning, correct? A Roadie would have been a prime candidate for having it.

I'm thinking it's a rare factory AC car too. Someone painted the door handles and the lower part of the fresh air intake vent black sometime in the past to accent the car's looks.

IMG_1570.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I drove past the place 3 times, never saw a living being of any kind.  I saw no cur dogs or shotgun-toting hillbillies, but hey - this is East Tennessee.  Even though not visible to the nekkid eye, you gotta know that just about every dwelling has a firearm inside - probably several.  The vehicle in the driveway looked like it is drivable, but it is a sketchy looking place.  I'm just now really looking at the photo again.  The single window in the photo looks like the curtain could be some sort of tarp.    

I'm not interested in buying the car for myself, but I might take another ride down that way to get a closer look.  All sorts of interesting things to see on the backroads in that area.

1 hour ago, Dosmo said:

The vehicle in the driveway looked like it is drivable

East Tennessee? I bought my wife a Tahoe so the revenuers would think they were already here and keep going.

I got her one of the newer ones with that duel master cylinder so she wouldn't be ramming the picnic table. Steel welch plug in the ABS block rusted through and she whacked the fender anyway.

• Haha 2