1929 DeSoto Radiator

DeSoto701

Try the usual cleaning/flushing materials available, if its not blocked they might help. If its full of crud the top tank might need be removed.

Try a radiator shop.

There is a interesting YouTube video of a guy testing his Model A radiator after cleaning it out using gravity and a stop watch and measuring the flow.

The honeycomb in my 27 Chrysler is in very good condition and it runs great with no overheating ever.

Dump anything out of the tank then put the cap back on and duct tape the the upper tube.

Put some thing like Simple Green in through the bottom.

Stand it upside down and fill it wit HOT water.

Shake it a bit and let it sit for 1 to 24 hours.

Take the tape off and reverse flush it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JustDave said:

I’ve set the radiator flat and filled it with c.l.r. Cleaner let it set for a couple days flush it real good worked a couple times

You may be thinking of "CLR PRO Heavy Duty Radiator Flush & Cleaner". 

I've never used it, I just wanted to make sure folks are aware of the difference between the two products. Regular CLR will damage a radiator internals.

• Like 2

I'm working on a 1928 Chrysler Model 72 roadster and I was fortunate to find a decent used radiator which only required a minor repair.  The radiator technician who did the cleaning and repair warned me not to use anything to flush the radiator other than water and no pressure.  This may be because of the honeycomb design or just because the radiator was 95 years old.  He is well versed in his profession.