Interesting Dodge Brothers Articles

On 11/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

I just read several pages of Keller's book. The Monarch governor was used on GB trucks, at least on Speed Trucks according to Keller. 

I forgot to post specs earlier. Hard to read but it does show Monarch

Note the date is July 1920 

See line 127 on both pages

Off topic, does Kellers book discuss the Weidely engine?

Speed truck specs 1.png

Speed truck specs 2.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

It's mentioned in some places I've seen. It kind of sucks because when I do research on them, there are several different spellings. Weidly, Weideley, Weidely. I believe Weidely is correct but unsure at this point. Just makes it hard to sift through data using key words sometimes in some of the digital libraries online.

Seems like I read that GB had Weidely in their tractors at one time.

Sorry to get off course but you never know how those things may crop back up later and I wanted to make note of it here in case anyone else came across it.

Still looking for any docs showing the date of the agreement in April 1921....

History - Graham Owners Club International

Graham - Historic Vehicles

Not a Speed truck note the oval window, definitely more questions than answers for this photos date...

Found it after revisiting the Graham Brothers News Vol 1 No12 Oct 1922 (see page one of this thread). Part of the 1920s DBC Papers from Parsons.

image.png.60fa22ef819503472e29b25d828c37b3.png

Note the cab looks a lot like that of the 1000 Series trucks. I suppose the photo could be labeled incorrectly...

Truck Builder has a similar cab to this one also, but the photo looks like pneumatics.

SMH

image.png.deb7d4e85f31c5f23ec20d8dd01ecf8f.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I have not heard of Weidely.

One more snippet about Weidely Motors I thought some would appreciate albeit not Dodge Brothers related directly.

They were actually using the term Hybrid over 100 years ago as he was a large proponent to improving motor trucks.

From May 8th, 1920 Automobile Topics magazine, page 1601

image.png.6a7cd8a47f9274327c0b8a72d80c2422.png

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 8:13 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

Keller has a copy of an ad for a Truck Builder that says the kits could be used on 40 named vehicles PLUS others. Then he talks about a Speed Truck having 22.5 hp and thermo syphon cooling UNTIL they realized DB was a better powerplant. The only car listed in the 40 that had thermo syphon that I know of was Ford. I sure wish we could find a dated brochure, ad, or newspaper article about the agreement with DB.

Thought you might want to see this. 
Although redundant at this point, it's reassuring

to see as we follow the timeline.

Automotive Industries March 25th, 1920

page 780

image.png.ad21f9303a046164569cc0927d552697.png

image.png.5a5ccb016d6b8a1a30361437b2d90ede.png

Btw,  Stutz was another thermo syphon 

listed as one of the manufacturers who were

being supplied the Truck Builder.

image.png.c5b24af6cf2626c42e969273079a9523.png

• Like 1

They are all the same! I have read this before. It proves why the engine number is about 50,000 higher then the serial number. It was thought for years that the 50,000 was because of replacement engines and industrial engines. Not so, they started out at 50,000. If you find an actual 1914  car the numbers show this. 

• Like 1

Mifflinburg is about 60 miles north of here. The Body Co. used to make horse drawn sleighs and carriages as far as I know. There is a white f 10? in the club that may have one of these bodies. I saw it years ago and there was a discussion on the DBC site about it being sold. I tried to look for it but got lost looking at too many other things.

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

15 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Mifflinburg is about 60 miles north of here. The Body Co. used to make horse drawn sleighs and carriages as far as I know. There is a white f 10? in the club that may have one of these bodies. I saw it years ago and there was a discussion on the DBC site about it being sold. I tried to look for it but got lost looking at too many other things.

@hihoss may chime in here to verify if he is the current owner or someone else. I believe I may have sent this page to him previously. 

I have yet to find the coach builder sticker on mine  but so far I think mine is a Cantrell. Is is very similar to the  Mifflinburg  with some differences. The front doors are suicide doors but the back doors are not cut around the wheel well. That makes them a lot narrower, and a challenge to enter :(. That makes the back section behind the rear doors longer. The seating looks the same.   

IMG_20181009_202015571.jpg

• Like 2

yes she would not sell it. Then in 2017 she passed and her son had an estate sale. My wife saw the add and I went over and now I am the proud keeper of it.  Any thoughts anyone might have as to the coach builder or pictures that could help me prove who it was would be greatly appreciated. I think its Cantrell. 

1 hour ago, hihoss said:

yes she would not sell it. Then in 2017 she passed and her son had an estate sale. My wife saw the add and I went over and now I am the proud keeper of it.  Any thoughts anyone might have as to the coach builder or pictures that could help me prove who it was would be greatly appreciated. I think its Cantrell. 

Paul did I already ask if you checked all the door jambs? 

I too think it’s Cantrell due to the horizontal pattern

yep I did. It was restored at some point way i the past. I am guessing the label was sanded off.  I am with you on the Cantrell, it was delivered to NY which is another clue to the body maker.  Just would like to have some hard evidence. I did purchase a Cantrell label but don't want to apply it till I am sure.  

Thanks

I can't remember his name but I met him at Hershey shortly before he died. I am glad that you were able to buy it and appreciate it. Did Cantrell actually have a body tag or did they just use the decal above the windshield? Did you search the sales receipts on the DBC website for the serial number? The one batch was from a dealer in N.Y. and many were Cantrells. 

3 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I can't remember his name but I met him at Hershey shortly before he died. I am glad that you were able to buy it and appreciate it. Did Cantrell actually have a body tag or did they just use the decal above the windshield? Did you search the sales receipts on the DBC website for the serial number? The one batch was from a dealer in N.Y. and many were Cantrells. 

Carl Roebuck according to page 25 of the Guide for Trucks via the club store.

BTW @hihoss I've saved all the sales receipts, invoices and bulletins related to Cantrell from the batch on the DBC but have never found any from 1931 or 32 that match your truck serial number. FWIW...

Cantrell were still doing work for Chrysler products though as this bulletin will attest, albeit a Plymouth....

Dodge Brothers Service Bulletins 1922-1937_0219.jpg

6 hours ago, hihoss said:

yep I did. It was restored at some point way i the past. I am guessing the label was sanded off.  I am with you on the Cantrell, it was delivered to NY which is another clue to the body maker.  Just would like to have some hard evidence. I did purchase a Cantrell label but don't want to apply it till I am sure.  

Thanks

According to a good friend who has studied Cantrell for years and grew up and lives on Long Island minutes from where the Cantrell plant was, he seems sure it's Cantrell after I showed him your photo. Here is his response in PM

"Cantrell without doubt, they were the ones that had that low door profile and the horizontal slats as a design feature. Reason he can't find a builders tag is that Cantrell ( at least as far back as 1930 if not earlier) used a decal and these deteriorated. They were placed above the windshield at center on the header panel .  New decals were made some years ago by a friend who restored the remains of a 1930 Franklin with Cantrell body."

Not sure if you've seen this yet Paul

Vanderbilt Cup Races - Blog - From the Hugh Nutting Collection: Insight into the Woodies of Huntington’s J.T. Cantrell and Company

thank you all.  

Carl Roebuck was the previous owner, and as I mentioned I bought it from his estate after his wife died. I was able to purchase a Cantrell decal but want to be sure it is first. It does appear form all the reply's here that it is a Cantrell. I have one more place to check for the sticker. The head panel above the windshield has a single panel over it that is snugly fit and is retained buy the side frame and the mirror. I have to bow the piece to get it out and so far have feared snapping it in 2. I will give it another try and see if the decal is under it. 

I did see the Vanderbilt blog. 

thanks all for the assist.    

Edited by hihoss (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is why I love the research aspect so much, the insight gleened from these clippings are amazing to follow. Yes we have the benefit of hindsight, but if we imagine what it must have been like to follow the auto industry during this era it tends to paint a more clear picture of the activities as they happened while displaying the challenges they faced along the way.

All of these clippings in this post are from the same magazine. The months are January-June for the first half of 1921

The free online digital libraries are a useful daily tool. My favorite is Hahti Digital Trust, here's the link in case you need it. I would encourage everyone to at least give it a try, afterall... you never know what nuggets you may uncover :) 

And please remember to donate if you wish to help support them.

HathiTrust Digital Library – Millions of books online

Mr Haynes unique and diverse history.

image.png.48be64b2e1067478e6ff5e2adbcdd7ec.png

----------------------------------------------------------

image.png.35789c49f9dddaa0c86e7bd02b3de685.png

------------------------------------------------

image.png.08cddca9c4de799f98bae3f431e7269c.png

----------------------------------------------------

image.png.e3e284deb9ce2f7e53fcb1a286825e23.png

------------------------------------------------------------

image.png.ae54454cb5744ee693bd5a5b5b3713f0.png

--------------------------------------------------

image.png.b3e6a67615796999ee53558d957d698a.png

image.png.7f79679ae99dec8ed4c6206e941850bb.png

-----------------------------------------------

image.png.f08bbb3a31c39d828c40a40ce23314d2.png

image.png.b46dfd42d465dc4bfd2d16efbaa1acf1.png

----------------------------------------------------

image.png.8340df74551d8e69b217db60d76c66fa.png

So from your educated guess would this be a Cantrell? And keep in mind the Brothers thought a lot of Fred Haynes. He was the third leg of the corporation.  John and Horace each had 50000 worth of stock and they gave Fred 5000. He became President and ran the company for the widows until Dillon Reed took over.

IMG_0431.JPG

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'd edgeumicate yes! Cantrell

That truck reminds me of Harry Wellens old truck.

What's happening with dear ole Harry Wellens truck? I sure hope it ends up in good hands since his passing. He was a great man in my opinion and it still saddens me to think of his passing. He was always so willing to share literature so we could all learn.