General HPOF Question

Kfigel

Would like to confirm my understanding of the "levels" of having a car judged for HPOF.  The first time it is so judged it is an "initial" judging and, if it passes, you receive a wood plaque and a metal award.  The second time it is judged for HPOF, if it passes, you receive an "original" level award.  Times you may have the car judged after that, you'd receive a "repeat" award for as many more times you have it judged.  Do I have this correct and, if so, then what is the "significance" of the second "original" award?  Thanks 

The first time a car is evaluated in HPOF, if it is sufficiently original, it receives a HPOF award. At a subsequent show, if it scores high enough, it will be certified as an "AACA Original" and receive an "AACA Original" tab to be afixed behind the HPOF Oval. If it does not receive the "AACA Original" certification, it is still eligible for a "Repeat HPOF", as long as it is still original enough for HPOF certification, and will receive a small HPOF chip to be affixed to the HPOF board. 

Essentially, the HPOF Award is the HPOF version of a First Junior, The AACA Original tab is the HPOF version of a Senior Award, and the Repeat HPOF is the HPOF version of a Preservation in class judging.   

4 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

The first time a car is evaluated in HPOF, if it is sufficiently original, it receives a HPOF award. At a subsequent show, if it scores high enough, it will be certified as an "AACA Original" and receive an "AACA Original" tab to be afixed behind the HPOF Oval. If it does not receive the "AACA Original" certification, it is still eligible for a "Repeat HPOF", as long as it is still original enough for HPOF certification, and will receive a small HPOF chip to be affixed to the HPOF board. 

Essentially, the HPOF Award is the HPOF version of a First Junior, The AACA Original tab is the HPOF version of a Senior Award, and the Repeat HPOF is the HPOF version of a Preservation in class judging.   

Got it, and thank you. 

• Like 1

The first time a car is shown in the HPOF class, which permits up to 6 deductions to receive HPOF Certification.  The next time the car is shown, it is evaluated for the higher level HPOF Original Certification which only permits up to 2 deductions.  These deductions are for 1960 and newer cars.  Older cars are permitted a few more deductions.  If the car does not receive the higher level HPOF Original status, but still qualifies for the HPOF level, then it will receive a HPOF Repeat award and will continue to be evaluated at the HPOF level at future Nationals.  The car can also receive Repeat Original HPOF awards as long as it does not exceed two deductions.  If a HPOF Original certified car receives more than two deductions, it will receive the Repeat HPOF award and return to the HPOF level for future Nationals.

5 hours ago, 61polara said:

The first time a car is shown in the HPOF class, which permits up to 6 deductions to receive HPOF Certification.  The next time the car is shown, it is evaluated for the higher level HPOF Original Certification which only permits up to 2 deductions.  These deductions are for 1960 and newer cars.  Older cars are permitted a few more deductions.  If the car does not receive the higher level HPOF Original status, but still qualifies for the HPOF level, then it will receive a HPOF Repeat award and will continue to be evaluated at the HPOF level at future Nationals.  The car can also receive Repeat Original HPOF awards as long as it does not exceed two deductions.  If a HPOF Original certified car receives more than two deductions, it will receive the Repeat HPOF award and return to the HPOF level for future Nationals.

Thanks for the additional information.  I have a very original 1922 Studebaker Big Six that I plan to show in the HPOF class at the Saratoga meet next June.  Now that I know exactly how it all works, I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks again. 

• 5 months later...