1928 Chrysler 72 roadster for vintage speed events

I have decided to try to set up and use my Model 72 roadster to enter into classic speed/touring events.

Since this model came in 3rd and 4th at Le Mans in 1928 and 2nd and 3rd in class in the 1928 Mille Miglia, I have been lead to believe it would have a high likelihood of acceptance to participate in many events. The Americans at Le Mans event in Michigan at the ASF in late Sept would be the type of event I would target, just can't get it together by the end of September '23, I am afraid.

So I will use this post to chronicle my efforts and what it takes to participate, if I can even make it happen.

The largest hurdle appears to be to pass the FIA Historical Technical Passport which is a lengthy process. This, I am told, is a must for Europe.

I currently have a member of Goodwood helping with the process for Le Mans and another friend assisting with the Mille Miglia. Surprisingly, they are finding few people in Europe that are aware of the 72's history.

I also understand that some events will require a qualified/certified driver and my Goodwood friend is lining up a couple potentials who have an interest in driving a 72, in case I can't get qualified. I am checking with the various governing bodies to see if there are certain modifications, spec, etc, I need to comply with as I put the car together.

I have given myself a couple years to get this done, so if I don't die and can still drive, hopefully I can make a few events.

Any advice, comments or suggestions other than "you are out of your mind" are encouraged.

Here are the '28 Le Mans entrants

I am also looking for any information on these cars as they were prepared for Le Mans/ Mille Miglia.

Winner

4 1/2 Litre Bentley, 3583 curb weight, 130 horse power

Second

Stutz BB Blackhawk, 4478 curb weight, 115 horse power

Third and Forth

Chrysler 72 Roadster, 3004 curb weight, 85 horse power

Chryslers 

Today's Photo Story - First podium finish for Chrysler at ...

• Like 1

Since this is a roadster, it has the "Red Head" which raises hp to 85.

The 7 main bearings should make the bottom end dependable.

Red Head.jpg

7 main.jpg

• Like 3

The Lester 7.00 x 18 white walls, while new, need to go.

I am going to try Excelsior 6.00/6.50 x 18 Comp H racing tires. Speed rated to 130 MPH.

Added benefit was they were 1/2 the cost of a replacement white or black wall standard tire.

$1300 for 6 delivered, without tubes.  I have a twin spare setup on the car.

Excelsior.jpg

Excelsior-2.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, a member was able to get me a suitable tach. Just have to figure a way to drive it.

Next issue is the wheels. I would like to have knock offs as my current wheels are wood spoke. The wheel size is close to an SS100. (3.25 x 18") Can anyone think of a better option? 

Anyone know of a source for knock off hubs?

MWS in England have  spindle mounts but these would have to be flange mount I think.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:08 PM, BlueDevil said:

I have decided to try to set up and use my Model 72 roadster to enter into classic speed/touring events.

Since this model came in 3rd and 4th at Le Mans in 1928 and 2nd and 3rd in class in the 1928 Mille Miglia, I have been lead to believe it would have a high likelihood of acceptance to participate in many events. The Americans at Le Mans event in Michigan at the ASF in late Sept would be the type of event I would target, just can't get it together by the end of September '23, I am afraid.

So I will use this post to chronicle my efforts and what it takes to participate, if I can even make it happen.

The largest hurdle appears to be to pass the FIA Historical Technical Passport which is a lengthy process. This, I am told, is a must for Europe.

I currently have a member of Goodwood helping with the process for Le Mans and another friend assisting with the Mille Miglia. Surprisingly, they are finding few people in Europe that are aware of the 72's history.

I also understand that some events will require a qualified/certified driver and my Goodwood friend is lining up a couple potentials who have an interest in driving a 72, in case I can't get qualified. I am checking with the various governing bodies to see if there are certain modifications, spec, etc, I need to comply with as I put the car together.

I have given myself a couple years to get this done, so if I don't die and can still drive, hopefully I can make a few events.

Any advice, comments or suggestions other than "you are out of your mind" are encouraged.

Here are the '28 Le Mans entrants

I am also looking for any information on these cars as they were prepared for Le Mans/ Mille Miglia.

Winner

4 1/2 Litre Bentley, 3583 curb weight, 130 horse power

Second

Stutz BB Blackhawk, 4478 curb weight, 115 horse power

Third and Forth

Chrysler 72 Roadster, 3004 curb weight, 85 horse power

Chryslers 

Today's Photo Story - First podium finish for Chrysler at ...

Hi  good luck with your project it will be will be well worth the effort I will be following your posting with great interest thanks for sharing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been racing a vintage Chrysler in Western Australia since 1997. Ray Jones from Sydney was the guru amongst us as he made them go faster than anyone else and pioneered entering the Le Mans Classic, Mille Miglia rallies and Laguna Seca with his 1929 Chrysler 75. We are building a replica of the first American car, a Chrysler, to race at the Le Mans 24 Hours Race to coincide with the centenary in 2025.  You can see some pictures of it at the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/reddustrevival2022. We made hubs and used triple-laced wire wheels off a Bentley which raced in the UK. I also cast new brake drums from cast iron rather than using the pressed steel drums. My experience was that these get thin and they warp when they get hot under heavy braking. No such problems with cast iron.  At the time, we did 25 castings and sold them to other people restoring cars to help offset the cost. They are all on cars now, but it would be easy to make a pattern and get some cast yourself.  My Chrysler race car called Silverwings has been mildly hotted up compared with Ray's car, but it still makes 140hp on the dyno which is fine for me.  For many years I had an aluminium head on the car which was made by Ray.  It gave even more power but I got sick of constantly changing head gaskets so I put the stock silver dome head back on. It had a mild plane to up the compression somewhat but I have not changed a head gasket since.  Ray always took a bunch of head gaskets when he competed internationally. Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

I very fondly remember Ray Jones turning the "almost all Bentley" race at Laguna Seca Historics into a real race some years ago. Bentley was the "honored marque" that year so they were out in force. The race was one by a dealer from England who name escapes me now, no longer around today, but heavily advertised back then for the pre-war performance crowd.  Very fun to watch. If you can find it, get a copy of "Chrysler in Competition" By Ray and Martin Swig! I always fancied a copy of Malcom Campbell's Brooklands car from 1925! Great project!!!

Blue Bird.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to do The Mille Miglia then Le Mans.

I am looking for a shop in Europe that could do repairs between events.

Just in case I break something.

Any recommendations?

4 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

A lot of time and effort but its a lovely car and the end results will be worth all the effort

the people on this site are a wealth of knowledge with there help I am sure you will get there

Thanks. Where are you located?

I have always loved these race bred Chryslers. Hydraulic brakes can make all the difference, if you recall Duesenberg in '21. Good luck getting all the necessary items and certifications to race! (Also, when the Automobile Club de Monaco ran the Monte Carlo Classique, I seem to recall you could get a temporary pass from the Club to take part in the rally. I don't think the ACM is running it anymore unfortunately!) Admittedly, a rally through frosty France is different than the Mille Miglia. 

4 minutes ago, 57Classic said:

I think the panel in front of the rumble seat is a windbreak, or maybe a safety measure to ensure passengers stay in. You can see it in the 20th and 21st photos of a '28 roadster Hyman sold some time ago. 

My 1929 Model 75 roadster had that lifting panel, too.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on the suspension. It appears that the factory front snubbers were replaced with Andre Hartford's like the ones in the picture

I think they were 506's. Anyone have experience with these? The car is around 3000# or 1360kg.

I am trying to figure arm length and the number of arms/discs.

I have no clue about the rear suspension. Also, the 72 DNF at Goodwood dropped #6 piston, I am told. Understand these engines can have oiling issues

1928 sectioned Chrysler 72 chassis

Andre.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 2:01 AM, E-116-YH said:

Hello BlueDevil,

Can you tell us where this image was taken? Do you have any more pictures of this chassis? Thank you.

w=2560,q=75,metadata=keep.webp

That Chassis is in the Powerhouse Museum Sydney NSW Australia it’s pretty cool I remember seeing it there when I was a kid but now I have a 72 I really need to go and have another Look. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to start off using a Penberthy Ball & Ball DV 22.

It is the one on the left with the standard 72 Penberthy SV37 and a replacement we almost all have to use BB-1

Intake view and lastly top view, the DV 22 is on the right in this picture.

72 carbs.jpg

72 carbs 2.jpg

72 carbs 3.jpg

• Like 2

I just found this photo of 72's at the 1928 SPA-Francorchamps 24hr race.

72's came in 2nd & 3rd overall and 1st & 2nd in the over 3 litre class.

1928Spa_2AC.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I started working on getting the seats to the upholsters.

Did a nice job of cleaning the rust out of the hinges. Untreated in the front. 

evapo hinge.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a discussion with James Baxter who owns Tip Top Engineering in England, I am in the process of adapting the Andre Hartford shocks to the front axle.

James's business is vintage race cars and he has some marvelous stuff in his shop.

The plan is to have a leaf spring with a bush eye and attach it to the top of the leaf springs with the existing U bolts at the top of the spring stack, under the rebound rubber.

That will allow a bolt to go thru and attach to the lower AH shock.

I sourced a short 2" wide trailer spring with 2 eyes, bushed them to the bolt size and will cut them to a shorter length, probably 6" or less,  to fit the spring. 

Spring and bushings were under $50.

The hard part is going to be the upper mount.

leaf spring.jpg

Here is the cutdown version. The one on the left is how it mounts on the top of the springs held on with the spring U bolts.

IMG_2460.jpeg

• Like 2

Got some paint on it this AM. Lots to go. Hood, dash, golf bag door, rumble lid, hood rails and front apron.

Not so sure of the color, but it is growing on me, particularly since it would have cost $1000 but came with the car.

75 paint.jpg

75 paint2.jpg

75 paint3.jpg

75 paint4.jpg

• Like 11