54 New Yorker

Dee Hass

Appreciate your quick response. I have recently changed the bulbs thinking that was the issue.  I can't find the brake switch to eliminate that as the cause. Recently changed wiring harness in the steering column.  New to this vehicle so trying to figure it out slowly. 

Well the brake circuit also goes through the steering column if that's where your turn signal switch is.

Look near the master cylinder for a hydraulic brake light switch. I'm not sure it's there and I'm not sure it's hydraulic, but it probably is. Make sure you have voltage on one terminal, and then both terminals when someone steps on the brakes hard. The next place that wiring goes is to the signal switch.

Find your flasher. You should have voltage on at least one terminal and probably two. You can probably ignore the middle ("P") terminal for now. The next place this wiring goes is also the signal switch.

Do the front turn signals come on?

• Like 1

Turns out it was signal switch as Boo mentioned earlier. I tested my lights with a spare one and everything worked except my brake lights. Another question if I can have help, is there an aftermarket bulb socket I can convert to?  Existing rear stop/brake sockets wires are getting freyed so looking to update to something newer and easier to install.  Thanks 

• Like 2