Evans & Dodge Bicycle

I've seen ads stating E & D produced both mens and womens bikes at one point. I can't help but wonder how many of us have researched this topic in depth on a substantial level to see if we can find out how many styles were made and how many different badges may have been used.

Here's a ladies bike that is currently for sale and my curiousity has the better of me.

Is it possible this would have been made by E & D? I doubt it, but it has me curious...

Surely the frame and sprocket are an indication. I believe this one is close, but not an exact match, which is why I ask, has anyone done any substantial research to know if there would have been more styles produced? If so, how would someone get in touch with them?

Ulitimately one can't help but wonder, how many more could be out there waiting to be discovered?

Picture 1 of 12

s-l1600.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlZu1n5gCuOQvkr3AvUpTfq0lI4pnpqOfbnyvKCj3NMvlx25Zw&s

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Here is a site that claims this to be a womens E & D bicycle. It does match the ads I've seen exact.

Vintage CCM | The Evans & Dodge Bicycle 1896 - 1900

I'm guessing this website creator may be able to shed some insight into the E & D history. Does anyone know if Madeline or anyone at the Dodge Brothers Club has ever been in contact with the creator of this site or Dave Brown who is said to have owned this ladies bike?

image.jpeg.64d6df1eeb962cf81c0ad2b1e404577f.jpeg image.jpeg.ba4be183ff3a979abac50566e41f95e4.jpeg

Other badges and ads I've seen

image.jpeg.50d1a80b74698f5924319adbdb572137.jpegimage.jpeg.79c1316077316f6e177c5384e4309f30.jpeg

image.jpeg.93e6d4d2d5f4b78808a063d95621aca7.jpeg

Is this the E&D that McLeod was riding in the ad? NOTE: only 108 views in 6 years. My guess is it will see a few more soon.

Just thought I might mention that the E & D was a high-end bicycle that sold well and provided the company with a good profit margin.  I don't know whether there were different models of framesets, but the E & D bike's claim to fame, and probably the main reason for its success, was that its bearings were both dustproof and adjustable because they used V-races, which have to be very well machined and aligned.  I believe that competing bicycles' bearings were either dustproof but non-adjustable or adjustable but not dustproof.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trimacar said:

One would assume the manufacturer of this bicycle had nothing in common with the Dodge brothers other than last name, correct?

Without the success at E&D would we have seen the John and Horace enter the auto industry with their agreement with Ford which lead to success on their own? No one really knows for sure but this is where they got their first big break so it's hard to say there is nothing in common with the Dodge Brothers either in name or otherwise.

19 hours ago, trimacar said:

I did not realize they (the brothers) started out by making bicycles in Canada, learn something every other day!

We never stop learning ;) 

Btw, others like Darraq got their start in the bicycle industry before moving on to automobile success. I've never seen an actual list of the many manufacturers who had similar starts but I'm sure it's more than we may have imagined if we dig deep enough.

Anyone notice the sprockets a different pattern on this bike at Meadowbrook Hall? These few details presented in this thread must be an indication to various models. 

R.dc392daa5fef8128216f1c2d879f054c?rik=upt1fxLStbgRKA&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Another Dodge bike some of us may not know about.

Sorry for the thread drift but I thought some of you may want to see this concept creation if you hadn't seen it yet.

Something tells me John and Horace would have approved ;) 

Dodge Tomahawk - Wikipedia

undefined

It sounds like the E & D bicycle was very well-constructed.  The Bros. were fallible, however.  After they sold the bicycle company they found that machining tolerances were stricter in automotive work than they had been in bicycle construction.  It was for Henry Leland to teach Horace Dodge about more accurate machine work, when Horace worked for Leland while John Dodge was recovering from tuberculosis and couldn't work (except for that period, the Bros. always worked together).  Even after working for Leland, Horace still had a bit to learn about machining tolerances, because when Ransom Olds ordered engines for his curved-dash car from both Leland and the Dodges, the Leland engines made more power because they were built to closer tolerances. 

• Thanks 1