Excessive Brake Pedal Travel After Brake Job Question -1949

Dan O

I had the wheel cylinders and master cylinder replaced in my 1949 Roadmaster this week by some young mechanics that just don't know drum brakes I found.  They got it back together but there is a lot of travel in the brake pedal now.  I press the pedal and it travels 6+ inches I guess before it starts engaging the brakes.  It then will stop the car ok but the pedal is about three inches from the floor.  I do not think they are spongy from air still in the lines but they feel soft too now.  Is this travel because the brake linings are not adjusted properly now?

14 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Just take it back and tell them to take up the lost motion. The shoes need to fit the drums and be set to the proper clearance to the drums. There should also be an adjustment for pedal free play.

JF - Is the pedal travel adjustable?  Sounds too easy.  And what do you mean by "lost motion"

18 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Yes. Classic "worn"  brake sign. In this instance, just not adjusted properly.   Per the manual, if I remember correctly, adjust one brake at a time until tight.  Back of 10 clicks , or so.  I usually back off  [ less clicks]   until a slight drag.

Ben

Thanks again, Ben!  I am afraid I will have to go to the shop and read the manual to these mechanics.  It's in the car in their lot now or I'd dig into it myself. 

Do you or anyone else know if a 49 Roadmaster has a pedal adjustment?  Would that be something addressed with the master cylinder replacement or...?

It may just be that the shoes need to be adjusted.  With all new parts installed, they should perform the 'major adjustment' procedure outlined in the shop manual.  That includes adjusting the anchor pins to re-center the shoes in the drum top-to-bottom.  ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We re-adjusted the shoes as suggested above and got more pedal but found new brake line hoses were needed.  There were definite restrictions in the hoses from old fluid.  Fresh, open hoses helped balance the brakes as well.  I the brakes are worked out now in this super hot & humid Houston summer.  Next comes radiator repair.

If you have a 1949 Buick, be aware there were two different hoses for the rear used at the factory - an early and a late.  One is female, female and the other male, male.  So take a look at what you have before you order.  Bob's Automobilia has both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2