Machinist shop needed for Chrysler Windsor torsion bar in SoCal

Ok, so I got a 1949 Chrysler Windsor and it needs it's torsion bar replaced. I have a second torsion bar that is well-abused, but could be used as a template as it is whole.
I need a machinist that can fabricate a new part. Is there still one in Southern California?

Torsion bar suspension was introduced for the 1957 model year on all Chrysler products.

Did you typo and intend 1959?

Your replacement torsion bar must come from the same SIDE as a replacement. Check part number cast on the end of the bar. It must match.

I don't know that you will find any shop anywhere who will re-create just ONE torsion bar. This is not a simple job for a machinist; more complex.

Use the bar you have if it is the same side. Or get one from a collector salvage yard.

Ok so Father went to the books and it is a sway eliminator shaft. 17-29-5 in the '46- '54 passenger car parts catalog. We have been calling it the wrong thing this whole time.

Thanks for the catch.

How much does that change the situation?

• Like 1

I have a 48 Windsor parts car that does not have a front sway bar. If you are referring to front.

What does this eliminator shaft look like as my parts car may have one.

If you are talking about a rear part, it may have that as well.

Post a picture?

A 17-29-5 sway eliminator shaft is for the front of the car. I have to ask this and I don't mean to cause any confusion but there were two different style 1949 Chryslers, the early Chryslers look like the 1946-1948s and the more plentiful late Chryslers look like most 1949 Chryslers as in the picture. If your Chrysler looks like the one pictured, you can use a sway eliminator shaft from any 1949-1954 Chrysler, Dodge or DeSoto. The Chrysler part number for this bar is 1137501. This broadens your search somewhat and I would think somebody parting a car out would have one of these or it could be sourced from a salvage yard somewhere. If you have an early style 1949 Chrysler, report back as that takes a different bar with a different part number. I hope this helps. 

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 1:34 PM, ToplevelpoT said:

Ok, so I got a 1949 Chrysler Windsor and it needs it's torsion bar replaced. I have a second torsion bar that is well-abused, but could be used as a template as it is whole.
I need a machinist that can fabricate a new part. Is there still one in Southern California?

The sway bar is actually a spring so it is not just a matter of forming a rod to the correct shape and welding on or machining ends, the material would have to be correct and the final product properly heat treated. Finding a usable one is likely much easier than having one made.

• Like 1