1956 Buick Century FINALLY PAINTED

Specalist John

Good Morning..My 56 Century is finally painted after 1 1/2 years. I had metal work done; then Dustless Blasted and Epoxy Primed..I bumpers Rechromed. Headlight bezels..ALOT OF CHROME...I did a color change..2020 BMW San Morino Blue (pearl and flakes) and Artic White..New windshield IMG_20230622_201657_02.jpg.78cee3bc8c85947af2e7d0c492311529.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184319_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184322_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184315_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184311_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184252_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184247_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230617_184233_Messages.jpg

IMG_20230622_201657_01.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Buick lovers..I have a Question, I have a56 Century 4dr hardtop..QUESTION IS I have a manual seat..I want to change it to a WORKING POWER SEAT from my parts car..I took a  picture of this and look like its going to the seat motor and power windows...What is these 2 Relays ?? for and do I need this to activate the seat motors..Thanks 

20230717_203435.jpg

20230717_203424.jpg

20230717_203255.jpg

• Like 1

The one in the middle photo is a thermal circuit breaker. It's a very good idea. If a motor was drawing too much current, due to restricted motion, gummed up, shorted winding or whatever, it should kick out before the wire melts. It will kick back in all by itself when it cools down. Breakers like this are used on snowplows, winches, etc. to this day and are available at NAPA, though the mounting might be a little different. The current rating is probably stamped on the can.

The other one looks like a relay, although I only see 2 wires, and only one of them is big, and I think there should be a second big wire. I can't even guess without a diagram. If it's there you probably need it. The switches probably cant handle all that current on their own.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

Probably yes, but I can't really guess without seeing the circuit. That breaker would *probably* be in the main power feed. I don't understand how that relay is wired, and especially why there is only one relay. Is there only one motor?

Use big wire.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Good evening..I've been outside putting my Century back together and now my turn signals not working and reverse lights also..I think the fuse box is screwed up..I put new bulbs in it and nothing..Grounds are excellent.. The Relays are hot when you turn the switch on for the Power seat

You should have 12V on one flasher pin. Do your brake lights work? They are tangled up in the signals.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the relays.

Do you have a wiring diagram for this car?

Good evening..I've been outside putting my Century back together and now my turn signals not working and reverse lights also..I think the fuse box is screwed up..I put new bulbs in it and nothing..Grounds are excellent.. The Relays are hot when you turn the switch on for the Power seat

• Like 1

Sorry..the parts car with the power seats; I'm just going to remove everything and hook it up just like that in the blue Century..  NOW the blue Century; its one fuse that is not getting power to one side of the fuse when I put the test light on it..I might replace the fuse box from the parts car BUT I'm going the call my car electrician and let him check it out 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Specalist John said:

But also the front parking lights are REALLY BRIGHT and before they were okay..

Parking light and turn signal wires sound like they are reversed.  Check your connections IAW the schematic diagram.

• Like 1

Good evening to everyone..I found the problem and EmTee was correct the front parking light wires were hooked up WRONG. I have dash,signal lights, flashers on the dashboard showing,parking lights and headlights are correct and license plate light is good...Thanks again for the help everyone 

• Like 2

Okay lights Great..Next thing I'm going to try to do is INSTALLING THE BACK WINDSHIELD...I have the back rubber on: had to put the rubber in the sun to get it on. Fits perfectly on the corners and installed the clips and taped the stainless around the glass to hold it in place while I pull the rope and my buddy hold the glass.I have my soappy spray bottle ready..Pinch rail is in great shape.. SHOULD I JUST INSTALL IT LIKE IT IS OR USE THE 3M GLAZING STUFF. I talked to a guy from Safelight and heard nothing.. Infantry don't wait..We drive forward 

20230718_235233.jpg

20171019_174557.jpg

20171019_174546.jpg

Safelite installed the curved windshield on my ‘56 Chevrolet truck and used the adhesive. A friend who has done his own windshields does not use the adhesive because it will make a mess if you don’t do windshields all the time. He says he’s never had a leakage problem. He is very competent.