Chrysler Highlander Interior Question

I know very little about Chrysler products, but some of their designs and accessories over the years interest me. One is the Highlander interior option. I have a few questions that I would appreciate answers to:

1)  In what years was this option available? I've seen cars as late as 1950. Was this option offered even later into the 50's?

2)  Did the option or colors change much over the years, or the trim material or colors?

3)  Was the seat material usually pleated or just flat?

4)  Is the original style material (NOS or repro) still available from suppliers.?  (--- I don't need a source at this time, thanks)

5)  Was the option available just in the "deluxe" series or on any model?

6) Did other Chrysler products like Dodge or Plymouth offer the Highlander interior?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Scotch on a Chrysler? - Old Cars Weekly

1942 Chrysler Windsor Highlander | Chrysler windsor, Chrysler, Car interior

'50 Chrysler NY'er Highlander MT l.jpg

Scotch on a Chrysler? - Old Cars Weekly

Though the "Highlander" option became very seldom offered into the mid '50s, it was still available in 1960 and '61 DeSotos. I have seen the material and it had become pastels. Still interesting and I suppose better suited to the times. There are other examples that late but they are quite extreme rarities.

I believe the material was initially introduced for the 1940 models and continued onward for maybe two decades as reported by StillOutThere. The plaid pattern in 1940 was more or less the same as later years, but plaid content versus leather/vinyl sidings was higher as the cushions and backs were almost entirely in plaid pattern. This is my 1940 New Yorker. (Reupholstered prior to my ownership, no guarantee for the accuracy of the restoration). While at it, in 1940 Chrysler also offered a Navajo themed pattern in 1940 that I have heard about, but never seen any recent photo of. Also the claim that in 1940 the Highlander was a separate sub-series is false, refer the paperwork of my 1940 New Yorker supplied with the option of "Red Comb. Plaid".

40CNY13076614233Hyman(24).jpg.9fdad89ef4ebd4a47690ecb161448a41.jpg

40CNY1509dokumentasjonpplakatar(4).JPG.7e425ca1dcef08756adc5ade64bae338.JPG

It was offered from 1940 to early 50's. I have not seen it past 1950, but it may have been later. I might be wrong. After 1950 it would have been very rare. It is most commonly seen on 41-42, and 46-48 Chryslers The picture of the 1941 interior with the combination of leather and cloth material is very correct. I don't believe they ever did the entire seat and door panel in the cloth material as shown in the 40 New Yorker photo. I think SMS has the repro material, at least they used to. It originally came in the red and blue, and green and blue patterns. I think I read somewhere that none of the 46-48 Town & Country convertibles were produced with the Highlander interiors, but owners liked it very much and as cars were restored, they were re-done in Highlander plaid, which is very desirable. Now a large number of T & C converts have it. It was available on the 6 cylinder Windsor and Royal series as well as the 8 cylinder  New Yorker and Saratoga, and Imperial. I have not seen it in an Imperial, but I haven't seen them all. Somebody correct me on the Imperials.

Edited by 24Chry48 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Narve N said:

Hopefully this original 1940 advert displays the use of plaid and vinyl/leather for the first year of Highlander trim, as compared to later years. I believe my car is not that far out of original pattern.

40Chry1CNYcvtHighlander2A(2).jpg.10bea065f76c2e371de7e1293ec45025.jpg

Yes sir, judging by this original ad, your interior looks more correct than I thought. I have not seen this before. I know this was not done on the post war models.