1954 Pontiac: Where does this spring go?

Okay, this is my first time posting here so if there's rules or something about questions, I'm sorry.

So I'm almost done getting this old girl back on the road, but one of the springs is confusing me as to its proper location. It simply fell out the car after I sent the engine to be rebuild and relocated the vehicle to a rain-proof spot. I assume it's for the clutch because it's not returning all the way without a little nudge first despite not doing that before.

None of the photos I took of the engine bay before removing the engine show where this item goes and images of the same engine bay in other cars don't show it either. 

Please tell me where it goes, and provide an image if you can. 

20230531_113729.jpg

12 hours ago, PONTIAC1953 said:

the spring looks like it's the throttle return spring, forward hook attaches to the gas linkage mounted to the driver's side of the engine block just a bit higher than the starter motor, and the rear hook attaches to the bell housing.

My throttle return spring is already mounted in place and is working fine. This is a different spring.

6 hours ago, Mariiboops said:

My throttle return spring is already mounted in place and is working fine. This is a different spring.

could the spring you're holding be a non-original additional throttle return spring ?, I've seen many Pontiac straight eights with a bogus added return spring mounted near the carburetor.

23 hours ago, PONTIAC1953 said:

could the spring you're holding be a non-original additional throttle return spring ?, I've seen many Pontiac straight eights with a bogus added return spring mounted near the carburetor.

No, I took photos of throttle before removing the engine. The area near the clutch didn't end up in any of the photos.

But I already figured out what this spring is. I'm not sure how to end this topic.

• 2 weeks later...