1927 Stutz AA 5 passenger Sedan - $27,500

Not mine but I wish it were....(maybe without the purple stripe) 

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/nevada-city-1927-stutz-aa-passenger/7624837559.html

Offered is a rare and unusual 1927 Stutz model AA 5 passenger sedan. Freshly rebuilt amazing Stutz overhead cam straight 8 engine. Very solid body, usable original interior, older partial repaint. The engine is running, the car requires some re-assembly of drive train, the driveshaft is missing (but a new one can be made). Some minor parts require sourcing to make the car roadable, but the Stutz Club is a great resource. These are rare cars. Stutz built racing engines and for 1927 the car was very advanced, worm drive rear end allowed for a lower body giving the car a great look. Called the "Safety Stutz" the car has hydraulic brakes and wired glass safety glass in all windows (which amazingly is all intact). A very valuable car when made fully roadable, I have to move it along now. Call Chris for details at 530-400-0540. Clear CA title in my name.

1927 Stutz AA 5 passenger Sedan 101111_1uDRLy46rZg_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg00p0p_cxcV158LWBv_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg00l0l_jXItOvBUO6R_0CI0pO_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SparkEE said:

Thank you for posting.

I think this is the same car from the prior sale:  

Interesting that who ever put it back together would stop short of providing a drive shaft, which seems like it would be relatively easy to have fabricated....makes you wonder if there's another more hidden reason....

• Like 2

Looks like the engine was assembled and installed but is not ready to start. Oil lines are not connected, oil rectifier is mounted upside-down, spark plug wire cover is backwards, waterpump shaft is missing universal disks, no pictures of the carburetor side of the engine so we don't know what is going on there. When it was for sale before it was at a machine shop with the engine work done but not assembled. As I understand, they did compllete the long block after the sale so I would think that part should be good. This seems to be a real nice solid car that needs a good home to get it sorted out. Would be intersting to know why the new owner is giving up when it is so close to being a driver. 

• Like 4

One more comment then I'll behave. The ad states this car has hydraulic brakes but 1926 - 27 came from the factory with hydrostatic (water) not the lockhead hydraulic brakes used in 1928 and later (they could have been updated to lockhead ?).  The master cylinder mounts on the transmission not on the frame as later cars, which means cylinder and transmission were only used for two years. This looks like someone, not familiar with Stutz cars, purchased it with the idea of assembling for a quick flip, but things went a little south so its time to get out. It's a good car that needs to be put together correctly. Missing parts (if there are some), are available. Just my take for what ever its worth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A quick update.

My son and grandson have taken on this project. The previous owner is a very pleasant and talented fellow but was just overwhelmed by the number of items that were missing. Not sure if the owner before him withheld parts, or or its a case of the car being moved too many times by too many different people and the parts being lost or missplaced along the way. What ever it was, its a mute point at this time as we are moving on with what there is. Other than the drive shaft, most of what is missing seems to be small, easy to misplace parts like small dowels that lock the Borg clutch to the flywheel, U joints for the shaft between the generator and water pump, oil restrictor fitting for return line from cam shaft to oil sump, and so on.

And yes, the pink strip will get some attention.

More later.

• Like 9

Pleased to hear someone is taking this one on and hopefully can get it back on the road where it belongs! These are neat and historically interesting cars. A good friend had a very similar and very original one years ago. The biggest problem he had getting his roadworthy was getting the brakes corrected. A previous owner had totally messed up the early hydraulic system his had. The Stutz club helped locating the parts he needed. 

On 5/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, kbeach said:

...The ad states this car has hydraulic brakes but 1926-27 came from the factory with hydrostatic (water) not the Lockheed hydraulic brakes used in 1928 and later (they could have been updated to Lockheed ?)...  

Several years ago, I went to look at a 1927 Stutz

roadster that was for sale near me.  Very few Stutzes

still have their water-filled brakes, I understand:  Most

have been converted.