Rehabilitating a 38 Cadillac V16 that has not been running for over 30 years

Robert G. Smits

This is in a 90 Series  parts car I purchased non running in the early 90’s. I am planning to fill the cylinders with lubricant for a few weeks before trying to see if it is stuck. My thoughts are Marvel Mystery Oil versus a mix of ATF and Acetone.  Any recommendations appreciated 

No need to fill the cylinders.  Squirt a couple of ounces in each cylinder via the spark plug holes.  Then drop the pan and lube the crank and cam bearings etc.  Lube everything that moves. 

Note that Acetone is only a carrier for the ATF to penetrate tight places.  It evaporates almost immediately and does not lubricate.

• Like 1

I would not use evapo rust to free a stuck engine. I’m a fan of it but not on a frozen engine. Use a borescope an look in the plug holes. See if you’re dealing with just slight surface rust or an actual hole that was water filed for years. Taking apart a stuck 16 is ten times more difficult than an eight. Having worked on one extensively………there is a lot of stuff to get stuck on that thing. If the plugs have always been installed and it isn’t locked up rusty…….I would use ATF. Also using an oil pressure pot to pressurize the engine before you try and get it free is a good idea. On engines such as these, oftentimes the motor is stuck from oil turning into a type of glue…….and rust may not even be an issue. I have found pumping 180 degree hot water through the block for a few hours will often soften up the old congealed oil and make it turn without any issues. Stuck valves and lifters, and bound water pumps are common. Don’t assume a stuck engine is only pistons and rings causing problems. The late series V-16 engines are exceptionally hard to find as a spare…….several people I know are looking for an engine. Take car not to damage anything….or lose any hardware…..it’s miserable to try and locate.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

it’s miserable to try and locate

Thanks Ed, I was hoping you would post  This engine came from a collection in  Missouri and was always inside.  In then last 30 years it has been in CC storage.  I plan  to look inside with a borescope this week.  Thanks for your other suggestions I hadn't thought of.

• 8 months later...