the cooolest UGLY CAR EVER 1957 Studebaker(?) wagon $1750 W Virginia (not mine)

1957 STUDEBAKER COMMANDER CLIPPER STATION WAGON ! (only about 600 ever made !! )
HAVE CLEAN TITLE- CAR NEEDS EVERYTHING..... BUT..... MAKE IT A BILLBOARD FOR YOUR BUSINESS OR GO FOR THE RESTO !! CALL OR TEXT  443-398 FOUR- ONE 85
MONEY MAKER CAR HERE JUST AS IT IS !!!!

https://wv.craigslist.org/cto/d/westminster-the-cooolest-ugly-car-ever/7623906966.html

Not mine.

Clearly a parts car. Posted just so that we can have 4 examples of the last Packards shown here on not mine. . . . 

stude3.jpg

stude1.jpg

stude2.jpg

stude5.jpg

stude6.jpg

stude4.jpg

stude7.jpg

stude8.jpg

• Like 1

I personally don't think it qualifies as ugly. I prefer to think of late fifties styling of less popular cars as"outrageous" rather than ugly. Now, the condition of this car, on the other hand, well...let's just say it's "not pretty." 😏

• Like 1

I am not sure this is a Studebaker at all. The front clip is Studebaker but the tail lights are Packard.

The tail lights are not interchangeable (see pictures below). Additionally, there were no "Commander Clipper" wagons as posted in the seller's ad. "Clippers" were Packards and lettering on the tailgate says just that. "Commanders" were Studebaker sedans along with "Presidents" and "Champions". The wagon series were "Broadmoor", "Provincial", and "Parkview". The front fender on this wagon is labled "Commander" so the whole front clip must have originally been on a sedan. Even the hubcaps appear to be 1957 Packard.

In my opinion, the tail gate and the tail lights are the only parts of this car that might be of some value. The doors and front clip might be of interest to someone rebuilding a similar wagon. 

there were 869 Packard Clipper wagons built in 1957.

1957 Studebaker Provincial station wagon for sale

1957StudebakerWagons8.jpg.734e3d9218ddacd96a11bd3ea02d9c81.jpg

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a 1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan, Body Style no. 57L-P8, production: 869 with the front clip from a 1957 Studebaker.  With the 1956 financial distress that resulted in the Curtiss-Wright "Joint Management Agreement", all production was consolidated in South Bend and the closing of Packard's Detroit operations.   Along with the 1957 Packard Clipper Town Sedan that was based on the 1956 Studebaker President Classic sedan, the 120.5" wb Y-Body, to fill out the selection was the Clipper Country Sedan, 57L-P8 was added.  In spite of being on the verge of bankruptcy, S-P had finally developed a four-door station wagon, 116.5" wb P-Body for 1957.

• Thanks 2

I agree with Ugly , not so much with " cool"

So many other choices in 1957, easy to see why they went out of business. 

Was a shame , I had many good Studebakers, until the rust took over.

" out of the box" styling usually doesn't sell  for long enough to make a profit.

But , ads interest to us car guys.

32 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Parts car? Sorta?

Definitely parts car!  The most valuable parts unique to the 1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan are the wide trim pieces on the tailgate and inside quarter panels.  Even more valuable is that plastic emblem insert in the license plate light, a segmented design used only on the 1957 Packard wagon, changed for 1958 which is also unique to only that year.  The wheel covers are 1958 Packard only parts as S-P changed Packards and some model Studebakers to 8.00 x 14" wheels.  

'57 Clipper wagon WV a.jpg

'57 Clipper wagon WV b.jpg

'57 Clipper wagon WV c.jpg