1932 leaf springs

20230504_213941.jpg.3fcd0b1077dbe6cca0c638d6b3b14b83.jpgLooking for data on leaf springs for mom's '32 model 55, and/or a good spring fab place, preferably in the greater Seattle area. The right rear main spring is broken and the left front spring is visibly fatigued. 

I went to a local place in Yakima that I thought made them, but it turns out that they order them. He quoted around a grand per pair plus shipping, I recall being able to do it locally but evidently there aren't many places left.

The rear leafs are long, about 54" flattened out (weight on springs), ~52" unloaded. Fronts are around 35.5". 

My late dad bought several NOS ones from a garage in NY a couple decades ago but they appear to be for the '41. I'll pull out part #s shortly. Could use some bushings too.

Edited by John DePrey (see edit history)

Google for truck springs shop in Seattle or nearby.  Most of them can make new springs to match your old ones.  They can also re-arch your old springs, perhaps retemper them.  A spring shop should be able to make one new leaf to replace the broken one.  I found Gitt Spring in Auburn, WA.  https://gittspring.com/

Also, check with Eaton Detroit to see their prices on new springs.  They may have the drawings to make them or you can get drawings from the Studebaker National Museum.  Excellent quality.  https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Good luck.

I just bought the contents of a a 30 x 50 foot old dealer stock.  There were many pre war parts in there,  including some old, steel wrapped springs.  Not sure what  they are for  but I have to go back before they tear the building down. They are scrapping anything I leave behind.

Anyone interesting in doing some excavating of parts  just South of Portland , Oregon    let me know. 

I know I am leaving  a ton or so behind because some of it was really rough.

• 3 weeks later...

Update... I thought I'd check how a 41 Commander spring might fit, as we had a pair of NOS plus a fatigued one that I'd replaced with new on the folks' '41. The front pin wrap turns down instead of up but pin diameters are very close. 

Eyelet to eyelet is a hair shorter,  and front pin to axle is spot on! 

Note the left unbroken spring has different eyelets and pins in it. Also the used 41 spring matched the shape of the left 32 spring. I installed that combo and the car sits within 1/8" of level. 

We may try the NOS '41 pair if i can get some more stock pins, but I'm afraid it will move the rear up too far. Plus I had to take the front ~1" of metal cover off to get the front eyelet in the fitting. Mom says it looks great, leave it for now! We did find some nice used front leafs in the storage unit so that's on the list. 

I probably have the bolts, and pins and a set of NOS springs, just post some pics and measurements.....  They may be 41's like yours, but the specs are really close.   These springs have the part number stamped on the main leaf.  The other hardware we got is still in the bin trays and most are part numbered.