For Sale: 1991 Black and Flame Red Coupe 56,200 miles $5,300

B Jake Moran

How is it that a relatively low mileage 1991 Black and Flame Red coupe is so badly maintained in the interior?  That door panel on the drivers side needs restoration!   How hard is it to simply wipe down once in a while and keep it nice!?  

Even the driver seat looks scruffy.  This is in Des Moines, Iowa and very close to me.  

Product photo of 1991 Buick Reatta

Gross steering wheel, carpets a mess, all can be restored but should have been maintained.  I have asked for the VIN to compare to what we know, but wheel center caps missing, headlamps up. 

Conway Buick - the tag on the trunk - was a local Buick dealership many years ago.   I believe Benson Buick purchased them.  Not that any of that matters to those far away, but it does show that this 1991 Reatta was sold and likely stayed local to central Iowa. 

A couple of days ago I saw a Sapphire Blue Reatta in the student parking lot of my high school Carlisle (Iowa) HS. 

Reattas are still out there.  

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

How is it that a relatively low mileage 1991 Black and Flame Red coupe is so badly maintained in the interior?  That door panel on the drivers side needs restoration!   How hard is it to simply wipe down once in a while and keep it nice!?  

Even the driver seat looks scruffy.  This is in Des Moines, Iowa and very close to me.  

Product photo of 1991 Buick Reatta

Gross steering wheel, carpets a mess, all can be restored but should have been maintained.  I have asked for the VIN to compare to what we know, but wheel center caps missing, headlamps up. 

Not easy to find Flame Red horn buttons (unless you are successful in painting other ones Flame Red).

The car doesn't look all THAT bad...it certainly needs a strong cleaning and some light restoration.  It is curious that its black over flame red with what appears to be a gold pinstripe.  Would be interesting to see the trunk parts tag on this car and the VIN.  And the aftermarket radio has to go, but that's just my opinion.  😊

I have a 1991 with that same combination........ only 21 were made.  

No 16 way, no CD and no sunroof........a base car.    Radio is aftermarket,  but lots of things can happen to a car in 32 years. 

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I have a 1991 with that same combination........ only 21 were made.  

No 16 way, no CD and no sunroof........a base car.    Radio is aftermarket,  but lots of things can happen to a car in 32 years. 

Barney, what color is the pin stripe on your black '91?  And do you know how many flame red interiors were produced in '91 (minus the Select Sixties)?

My black car has red pinstriping and it has been my experience that the red pinstripe on any color car  (1991) has faded.

I have not done the count but Robert Casey's little blue book says  364

* COUPES

10 silver 

194 WHITE

21 BLACK

3 CLARET 

38 BRIGHT RED

1 GUNMETAL

* CONVERTIBLES

2 SILVER

71 WHITE

7 BLACK

1 CLARET

16 BRIGHT RED

Marck Barker has taken over hosting the Reatta database and you should be able to look at the Benvie database and count the number of cars that have red pinstripe. 

There is a good chance that some cars without red interior would have a red pinstripe.... example most silver cars had grey interior, they would look good with a red pinstripe. 

Also the interior color DID NOT dictate the color of the pinstripe.... the order form suggested the pinstripe be the color of the interior but the buyer/dealer could select the pinstripe color.

• Thanks 1