1937 Buick in European auction

Barney Eaton

This 200 + car collection is selling at auction.....says it is a Dutchmans collection. 

This is a custom bodied 1937  ....would be an interesting car to own. 

Here is the link......

https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/en/lot-details/18173/Main category /Classics/buick-special-series-40-1937

• Like 2

Right hand drive. With UK 1950's plates? At times people in UK can determine some history from the original plate.

Were several coach builders in UK who bodies pre war Buick's.

Old style split windscreen and a division, but just a 40 series. Has a high roofed early 30's body style. Or an old body on a new chassis? Could be for Funeral business or a council/government or landed gentry.

Photo of Buick data plate,builders plate and engine number would be interesting.

Price range on auction site € 35.000 - € 65.000 /US$38,600 - US$71,750 - Above the market for a car in that condition in my opinion.

As RHD drive could drive in my part of the world!

Some spectacular cars: https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/nl/dashboard?auctionid=119

Facal Vegas and the like. And some plain & ordinary. (MGB's etc)

01image S.jpg

04image S.jpg

10image S.jpg

11image S.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

It is certainly an unusual Buick. Not surprisingly, the grille badge identifies it as a Canadian built version. That would make it a rare car. There were a total of only 217 Right hand drive Specials made in Canada for export in 1937. Assuming the custom body makes it one that was exported as a right hand drive Sedan Chassis would make it one of 54 built in 1937. 

I sort of like it, but rare does not mean valuable.

https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/en/lot-details/18173/Main category /Classics/buick-special-series-40-1937

• Like 3

The car is a bit mysterious looking to me. 

It's a plain back car(no hump trunk).   Canadian production numbers and details shows no plain back cars "made in Canada".    But shows imports of Fisher Body code 4416,  which I don't know what that is,  and could have been reworked for export out of Canada.   The front fender lights aren't 1937 40 Series.  The hubcaps aren't the higher dome McLaughlins with three grooves around the outer edge.  Its hard to tell but the side body molding may not be 37 either.   And the high "boxy" roof....   Rear doors latching on the B pillar.

Didn't 37 phaeton(open "sedans") use 36 bodies?   Is that what this is?   A 36 phaeton body that was made into a closed car?   A 37 front clip.  Maybe even a USA 36 chassis because the hubcaps from 1937 Canadian to US don't cross fit.

Seems very "custom" to me.   What is it?

20201124_082506.jpg

20201124_082531.jpg

post-52807-143139141163_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

The most logical "guess", which is really the only option, is that it is one of the 54 Right hand drive exported "Sedan Chassis". 4416 is not a Fisher body style that I have ever seen. The best guess is that denotes a chassis with the dash, grille, hood, sidemount fenders, running boards and possibly rear fenders. Everything else is a body produced by a custom body builder, probably in the UK.

• Like 2

One other small detail about this car leads me to think that it was shipped without any body installed... and probably with the bumpers shipped uninstalled. The bumpers are both upside down. They have likely been that way all of the car's life and I suspect the custom body builder's installed them wrong when the car was new.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MCHinson said:

One other small detail about this car leads me to think that it was shipped without any body installed... and probably with the bumpers shipped uninstalled. The bumpers are both upside down. They have likely been that way all of the car's life and I suspect the custom body builder's installed them wrong when the car was new.   

Good eye Matt,  ...noticing the bumpers were mounted upside down.

• Like 2