1953 Dodge Meadowbrook Brakes

Crisjr14

So I am seeking any and all help so I had someone start doing my brakes and ended up not doing them so I'm stuck with trying g to put them back myself so I do know somewhat about the cam pins and the anchor bolts with the arrows so if anyone can send me any and all information videos links on how to put them back and adjust them correctly from scratch please I would greatly appreciate it I should try make this more understandable as to what I am looking for it is the correct way and position on how these parts that I have added and circled 

20230426_163135.jpg

20230426_174641.jpg

20230426_163135.jpg

Edited by Crisjr14
More pictures (see edit history)

All of those adjustments have exactly to do with what is in the videos, that is making the linings trace a perfect circle around the axle or spindle, at the same size as the bore of the drum. The adjusters at the end of the shoes move the shoe up and down, and the ones at the center move the center of the shoe in and out. Easier said than done though, that's why the tool is needed.

The shoes must match the curve closely of the drum they be used in when checked on the bench. If they are way off, the shoes won't adjust properly on the car and you may have to send the shoes and drums out for arc grinding of the shoes.

@keithb7

• Like 2

I think this video will cover everything you're asking.  The only point that is missing is that you start with the arrows on the internal anchor pins pointing towards the wheel cylinder.  Having the original style adjusting tools is a great help.  The factory Miller tool is very expensive when you can find one.  The Ammco 1750 tool works just as well and can often be found on EBay at a better (not cheap) price than the Miller set.  The homemade tool will work, but there is no provision for setting the shoe for proper drum clearance.  Because of this, you have to do a final adjustment from the back of the backing plate to move the shoes out to the drum.  

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Ok so what im trying to ask is this please on the cam pins and spring (the little plate underneath it )is there a certian way they are to be bent to hold the shoes also I think I read somewhere that those plates have to be facing with the lobes facing outward would that be true please like the picture I just added with the circles and arrows pointing

20230426_174641.jpg

The lobes on the cam adjusters should point inward so that the shoes are as far in as possible prior to the initial adjustment with the drums on.  You can determine if the cam retaining springs need to be adjusted if you are using the Miller or Ammco 1750 tool.  If not, it is only by looking the shoe wear pattern after driving the car.  

• Like 1

So I finally got everything back together and the drum on and with my brake shoe adjuster tool it touches on the heels but when it goes around on to the toe on both sides there is a gap can someone tell me which way am I supposed to turn the anchor I know I'm bugging alot but I'm new to all this and just trying to get some help here sorry hopefully you all can understand in the pictures I added the gaps and can you tell me if the writing is correct example c for cam A for anchor toe etc. 

20230503_171430.jpg

20230503_171437.jpg

20230503_171456.jpg

20230503_171558.jpg

Did you put the brake drum on and adjust the cams at the center of the shoes until the shoes make contact with the brake drum?  In Keith’s video that is how you get to the starting point for using his tool.  That cam adjustment gets the center of the brake shoe out far enough to be the appropriate diameter of the brake drum.  The drum doesn’t have to be on so far that you need the puller to get it off from what he says.  

After you get to that point then I believe you start to adjust the anchor pin for the shoe you are adjusting.  The anchor pin is the part with the arrow stamped in it.  I had a 37 Dodge with a similar set up but just with one wheel cylinder.  It took a lot of fiddling to get the shoes to match the drum.

• Like 1