1947 Frazer Runs, $5,000

Good entry level project! 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-1947-frazer-old-car/7614162742.html

1947 Frazer, 4 door car, flathead 6 cylinder, manual transmission. Older amateur restoration needing TLC. Needs brake work, engine runs good, on a paid non-op. $5000 firm. Please call or text Roy with any questions. 91six- 599-011four. NO EMAILS!!!

01111_lg2f8bnx8VI_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00p0p_lVgwnM3uRB3_0t20CI_600x450.jpg100404_futDqWSWax3_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00808_lbNji2P3XZw_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

3 hours ago, John Smeltzer said:

I don’t live in California but have in the past. This is my understanding of the rules for unregistered cars 

In California a car that is not registered and insured must be registered with the DMV as non operational to stop the tax fees from adding up.  If the car hasn’t bin non opt. The next time someone goes to get it registered they will  have to pay back taxes and penalties and that can be quite expensive .

Generally true EXCEPT if the car is 25 yrs or older AND/OR it's for collecting.  What you need for each period of non-operation through successive ownerships (if applicable) is a signed Statement of Non-Operation.  If last registered owner is deceased, you can probably get such a signature from the executor or family member or next-door neighbor, even.  An easy one is if John Doe, the seller/owner is still alive and can sign and can provide the last registration document (Calif dumps the electronic record after 4 years but longer in some cases).  Undoubtedly you will have to transport the vehicle, probably on a trailer to a DMV office which for older cars like this one may require CHP inspection--always a 7-8 week lead time for appointments.

By the way, fees max out at three years' worth, thankfully, not 23 or 33.

If there has been title-jumping, secure the services of a private DMV Expediter which is well worth the money.

Go to the DMV website and download forms Reg 102 (Certification of Non-Operation) and Reg 256 (Statement of Facts).  Also on their website, download California Vehicle Code sections 4604(a) and especially (d)(3), and sections 5004 through 5010.

Note sec 5004(f): 

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

• Thanks 1

Although we are not *required* to apply for non-op status for >25-yr-old collector cars, it's smart to do so for $20-30 for 5 years or more, as when you're doing a long-term project.  Saves much grief when actually putting the car back on the road.  That's the "paid non-op" in the ad.

If I wanted to buy this car, I'd try to get the seller to obtain CURRENT registration in his name from the non-op (I'd reimburse him), even if the car couldn't be operated on the road, THEN sign off the "pink slip" transferring it to me.  If that is done, even an AAA office (if you're a member) can handle the transfer quickly and easily.

Edited by Grimy
added 2nd para (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

One more tip: don't expect the clerk at the DMV to know this stuff. Bring notes so you can cite chapter and verse of the Vehicle Code to them. 

16 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

One more tip: don't expect the clerk at the DMV to know this stuff. Bring notes so you can cite chapter and verse of the Vehicle Code to them. 

Leif, I found out the hard way 20 years ago that the DMV field office people don't know--or *want* to know--the Vehicle Code sections.  We can call the DMV Public Inquiries Unit at 916-657-6560 (don't know if that's current) and ask for chapter and verse in the DMV Field Offices' Operations Manual.  On one occasion, I had made that call before going to the local office, and the clerk at the counter keyed that reference into the computer terminal at the window and I was out of there in literally two minutes with what I wanted.  It's an issue of providing a reference that's meaningful to THEM.  I've had an officious field office manager tell me "we don't care what's in the VC," to which I replied that their manual executes what the legislature has enacted in the VC.  I've learned to Do It Their Way to be quickly successful.

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Then they will up their attitude even further.  😂

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

Then they will up their attitude even further.  😂

Yes! I should have also added you have to do it in a way that recognizes they are in charge of this transaction and not you. 

Well, if they are doing non-op, they probably actually own it and have a title. That's a really good start.

I'd be all over this if I had anyplace to garage it. The grabber blue is a little weird, and not something I would ever pick, but it is presentable. I know these aren't high value cars, but this is affordable, allegedly runs, and is genuinely unusual. A Kaiser is unusual too, but they made even less Frazers. What's not to like? It's a stick, and probably has overdrive (Is that an overdrive relay on the firewall?). This might make a good driver. It looks 12 volted, so there's probably a wiring mess to clean up, but I still like it.