Stuck Butterfly

AHa

I had high hopes for this carburetor but the throttle valve is stuck. So far I have boiled it in water (15 min.), frozen it, heated it with a torch, set it behind the windshield to be heated up, lightly tapped on it, and boiled it in kerosene off and on for two days. I also rigged up a makeshift sonic cleaner and vibrated it and used every type of penetrant known to man, all to no avail. Anybody got any tricks up their sleeve? I have not bead blasted it, which I have found sometimes frees rusted parts. All help appreciated.

IMG_0193.jpg

I'll bet the pot metal has swollen seizing the shaft. Perhaps one o\f our carb experts can chime in on a possible solution.

Terry

• Like 1

I don't know if it matters but this is not a pot metal carb; it is cast aluminum. As I understand it, aluminum carbs were available from all the major suppliers for race cars. This is a Stromburg.

A carburetor is a classic example of a Galvanic cell. Two dissimilar metals in the presence of a liquid. Ions flow. The there is probably corrosion molecules between the throttle shaft and the throttle body.

Because of the expansion differences of dissimilar metals, heat works best.

Jon

• Like 1