1961 Buick Invicta Bubbletop - $5k in WY

And now we know the new pricing for full on projects.   Yesterday's $1,500 project = $5,000.  Seems as soon as a seller knows "it's a bubbletop" they jack the price up $$$.  Seems to only apply to GM bubbletops because the large glass area back windows can be seen on most makes in 1960-1962ish.  I saw a very stylish Dodge with one the other day for sale in Iowa. 

There is no doubt this is desirable but location is an issue.  I used to live in Cheyenne. My dad took us out there in 1977 for work and back then it was a gold mine of dry western cars on the streets and yards.  

Even for me to go retrieve and bring back to Iowa, would add $1500 in gas, lodging, food and payment to my friend Al who used to assist in retrievals.  Imagine someone from So Cal or Arizona.  Even at $3 a loaded mile, it would cost $1500 to get it back to Iowa, at least.  

Add to that - look at that dash, it's totally gone.  Just Dashes would ask you to bend over when quoting a price. I am thinking at least $1,000 for that complex dash pad.  Seating another $2500, door panels.  I know, I preach that restoration is a hobby and it is, but initial cost should reflect getting it at a decent starting point, then dollar cost average the restoration over 6-7 years, and it would be OK.  But $7,000 just to get it in my driveway?   When some decent drivers (from a broad brush age range) cost $10,000 to $15,000?  

30 minutes ago, suchan said:

Sharp and desirable car.

It's a pity it was allowed to deteriorate to such an extent.

Parts?

Perhaps, but 1. nobody is likely restoring a 61 Buick Invicta bubbletop and needs a $7,000 parts car, and 2. many of the parts are interchangeable with LeSabres and most parts on this car need restoration.  

This one is a nice color in my opinion.  My 1961 Electra semi bubbletop was a tan/gold metallic which is more common.

• Like 2