1921--where to put the spotlight wire?

Pete Phillips

Pete,

First, does the flood light have its own built in switch? If not you will need to find one that you can install to toggle the light on and off.  Second I would also buy an inline fuse to protect the wiring for the spotlight.  The  best place to connect under the dash would be terminal 1 on the light switch, ( same lug for power to the horn)  or on the Non Battery side of the ammeter.  See the attached wiring diagram. 

Good Luck,

Glenn Manes

Wheat Ridge CO, USA96A636AD-CDE2-4F96-BD84-185D52CDA51C.png.2f35ad7daee5cd2f5a1320018c577a3a.png

• Like 2

I wired mine to the under dash floor light switch in my 1923.  Seeing the floor light on reminds me the spotlight is on. 

Another option is to use the instrument light terminal on the combination switch. Same theory, seeing the dash light on will remind you the spot is on. 

No comment about leaving spot on and a dead battery here…..

I guess I wasn't clear with my question. I'm wanting to know where the wire from the spotlight to underneath the dashboard is placed. Does it just loosely go underneath the left lower corner of the dash, or should a hole be drilled in the dash to pass it through? Should there be a bracket or holder of some sort that keeps in place as it goes under the dashboard? Does the wire get attached to the windshield post on its way down to the dashboard? In other words, do I have it routed correctly as shown in my photos?
Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

My windshield stanchions have a good original type seal where they meet the body/cowl so I did not want to compromise seal that by running a wire through there so my routing is similar to what you have in your pic but attached to the stanchion in two places.

• Like 3

Spotlights are accessories, so any mounting that you do is correct as long as it is done in period looking materials.  I like that you have turn signals and hid the actuator.  I also like the cable selection for the wire cover to the spotlamp.   My suggestion is to use a piece of copper wire.  Come from behind the dash, make a loop for the wiring, then go back behind the dash.  Twist the wires together behind the dash.  You could also use braided 16 GA electrical wire and tie it behind the dash.  Something to keep it away from the door. 

Another option is to use the 2 braided wire which is the wire that many of these came standard with.  It is a lot more flexible than using a sheathing.  This wire is available on Ebay and from several supply houses.  Multiple color options too.  Black, Brown, Putty.       Hugh

other2.JPG.0240818fbe01c7fbb45a03416e800937.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG.f6e87545eb376886342e21ec5ffb142d.JPG15browncottontwistedwire.JPG.04174714c25d2db085373977edfa711c.JPGVraysport2ebay.jpg.7f3e7787438e1e15c32977dd6f8f0f94.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1