Delco Style Flag Terminals- Distributor Wires...

philipj

What do you mean by "primary wire"? If you mean inside the distributor, the terminals are the least of your worries. Assuming the car has vacuum advance and a moving breaker plate, that is special wire made to deal with all the bending, and probably needs to be bought as a whole wire with terminals. The ground wire is similar.

Is this for 36 Olds? I'd be surprised if they used those terminals outside the distributor, but I don't know for sure.

As for the flag terminals, Rhode Island Wiring, Brillman, and Y&Z have some flag terminals that would physically interchange, but are not exactly the ones you are looking for.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Hello there,

I just corrected the wording with the proper name on my post so I won't sound like a nincompoops!...;)  Sometimes my thoughts get crossed and I end up not making any sense! But now that we're on the same page, yes, I am talking about the distributor in the 36 Olds, but I am sure it will apply to others that cannot find parts and have to make their own...

I was hoping to build some cables of the proper length to have as spares...  The first distributor lead (91858574) is 2-1/4" long and the second, a ground lead (1853288) is 2-1/8" long...

Everything I have seen so far is much bigger than the originals... I believe Brillman's was larger in every way, but I have to check the rest...

thumbnail_IMG_7656.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a standing eBay search for "distributor tower brush" which routinely turns up guy(s) with boxes and boxes of distributor ground wires (with flag ends)--but rarely the KD-103 brush that I'm always after as a cleaning tool for flag and loop wire terminals.  Suggest you buy a whole box of the darned things and make something work, because what you're after is the high-flexibility wire that we can't otherwise find these days.

• Like 1

Hello Grimy,

Thank you for the tip... I did come across them before, but bypassed them because I do not have a Shurhit catalog to cross with the Delco numbers... I asked the guy for some photos, so let's see if I get a reply...:)

2 hours ago, philipj said:

Are you looking for this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325355756399

Thanks, that showed up in mine too but is missing the *fixed* "bore brush" portion.  True bore brushes rotate but the KD-103 tool has a fixed brush.  I could solder in a bore brush to one of 2 or 3 handles I have with worn-out brushes, but it may not be worth the effort.

Since most of those distributor wires are for 1940s-1960s cars, I'm sure (1) your Olds is not listed and (2) you can compare your old one with something that will work lengthwise even though the flag terminals may not be exact--but who will see them?  🙂

Is this the Shurhit batch you're looking at? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285230289735?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=9d29cd0af0ee4e19a004e95e93bd9ba1&bu=43210982708&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230412013400&segname=11021

• philipj changed the title to Delco Style Flag Terminals- Distributor Wires...