64 right door. Provisions for a remote mirror?

Deanoko

Curious here… does anyone know if there is a matching circular port in the inner door shell on the RH door like the left one?  Not terribly interested in pulling the skin to find out, if someone already has the answer.

I have an “ambidextrous” mirror, which I could mount, if I run out of everything else to do on all my cars…

Hey I don’t believe they came of the assembly with that set up on the RHS not my 63 anyway. 
I have a RHD and just purchased 2 sets including the rubber cone which will need some fabrication to get it on the RHS. Have the mounting template from RivEng for the mirror mount if you need it. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have read that.  On any car, this is a 2 person job, with your helper positioning it, while you are in your normal driving position, until its usable and marked there.  Then you can decide if it's symmetrical enough to start making holes. 

46 minutes ago, tenugent said:

I put a passenger side on mine and had to cut the hole.As stated before you can't see anything out of it anyway.

Forward mounted to match the Driver's side I see as per the feature on your car in the March/April Riview.

My early '63 has the drivers OSRV Mirror further back. To duplicate this position on the RS door is also functionally useless of what was mentioned before. Require a self adhesive 4" convex mirror?

I roughed-in for the joy stick in the RS door with a pin-hole in the veneer for a pilot hole. Everything hole-sawed underneath for future install which is now not likely.

Too bad, after installing the drivers mirror, I immediately stumbled upon a nicer mirror in my stash while putting my tools away! Typical Riviera luck.

Later after learning the mirror will install on either side, was going to install on the RS. Now, will have to remember to swap out the drivers mirror when replacing vent window seals with Steele Rubber.

I installed a passenger-side mirror on my '67.  I put it in the same location on the door as the driver's side.  Even without the vent window channel obstruction, it is of limited use.  Ideally it would have been placed further back on the door, which I think would look pretty odd.  So, I rarely use the passenger mirror unless I am parallel parking.  In that case, I can see OK once I scooch over to the center of the seat slightly...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So... Progress   I have mocked up a RH remote that I can see out of.  The base is taped in place for positioning. 

I moved the leading edge of the mirror base back 2" from the LH side. 3½" as opposed to 1½".  

I checked the swing of the power vent to make sure they don't interfere. 

I'm using a 4⅛" convex mirror from a 1955-7 RH mirror.  Just the glass.

The Riviera mirror head I'm using is reversible (and also the same as Pontiac EXCEPT for the rubber base gasket.)

Based on my mockup I will be able to see just fine out of it and the difference innthe mounting would only be noticed under close scrutiny. 

PXL_20230524_041452731.jpg

PXL_20230524_041512334.jpg

PXL_20230524_041715189.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 12:37 PM, tenugent said:

As stated before you can't see anything out of it anyway.

I am planning to install wireless  cameras on my '60 Electra. The one on my Avalanche is great. I figure a right hand one clipped to the windshield trim will be fine. My issue is parking with the right side next to the garage door post. Two to four camera set ups are under $150. I just need to get around to it.

Too many right hand mirrors are in blind spots.

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

That's why I did the mockup with a convex mirror.

Would that same mock-up (convex) work if the RHS mirror was mounted further back, behind the vent glass? That's where my early '63 LHS mirror is mounted.

I think the viewing angle becomes problematic there, since the angle of viewing would move away from the car the further back you move it. Draw a pencil line on paper with the incoming and outgoing angles being equal to give you an idea. You'd have to really cant the mirror head toward you to get any possible good view. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Deanoko said:

That's why I did the mockup with a convex mirror. 

That, and moving the base back 2" for it to be usable makes sense to me based on my experience.  In the end, I elected to match the door position of the left mirror and the penalty is having to lean my body to the right to see a useful image.  I really only use the right mirror when parallel parking.

• 4 weeks later...

My successful install is complete! The tip of the base is 3.5" from the forward door edge at the centerline of the chrome base 

By using a reversable trim ring (allen head mounting screw hole on top and bottom of the trim ring) along with the convex mirror from the 55-57 Chevy world I have a perfectly functional RH remote mirror. 

One has to be VERY careful extracting the glass from the donor mirror and mounting it into the Riviera housing.  I ended up gluing it in place, as the Chevy mirror is a fraction of a mm larger making a decent holding crimp of the swivel plate pretty risky. 

PXL_20230619_220753877.jpg

PXL_20230619_220814634.jpg

PXL_20230619_230700039.MP.jpg

• Like 2

I made a paper template of the position of the LH remote mirror control stick and bezel.  Then with the door skin off and seeing that there was a very clear allowance for placement through the RH inner door metal I drilled a pilot hole from the inside, with the trim in place, mirroring the LH position.  I was able to confirm the hole was in the middle of "open territory".  I used a 1.5" hole saw and went through the wood trim and several layers of door card from the inside.  The final 1.5"  hole was drilled through double thick sheet metal from the outside.  

I didn't take any photos of the process.

The most critical holes were the 4 required to mount the mirror base.  1 for the ¼" all thread stud, 2  for the #8 mounting screws and the 4th for the control cable loom.  I had to make sure not to "walk" the drill bits doing those. 

On 6/19/2023 at 11:32 PM, Deanoko said:

I didn't take any photos of the process.

I have photos of the process for future RS OSRV Mirror joy stick.

Image-1: I hole sawed the door shell part-way through and can be knocked-out from the outside with door skin off. This way, I'd never have to remove the delicate door card.

Image-2: Door Card was punched-through.

Image-3: Veneer panel base is punched through. But Veneer and aluminum panel beneath it is not. However, I have a teeny pin-holes in the latter for locating the pilot of a hole saw and screws that only I can see (image-4)

image.png.03e7ffbc33a758c711327a3db1322018.png

image.png.4337ea9f149821f8d1d22453f73c1533.png

image.png.92f303d64ad6dfe988c1d2937590f7b9.png

image.png.3edcec71e2af98fd626673dff527a239.png