1953 Hudson Hornet Club Coupe, not mine.

Seller's Description

Update based on common questions: Price is not shown because we don’t know value. This is slated for AUCTION in early May. Date is not set yet. Location of auction: Iola, KS and online Auction Company: will share link once the page is set. Early offers if will sell early: No idea on pricing. Please share offer and I can relay to the family member running auction. Hudson Hornet Twin Power for sale. Will be up for auction early May so please reach out if interested. Appears to be complete, no missing parts. Selling for a grandparent that used to take it to shows. Pardon the dust, it has been covered in a garage for 10 years. No visible rodent damage nor smells. We have all the ignition and trunk keys. Exterior paint and body great for its age. Interior upholstery and headliner is in great condition as well.

Because the Hudson Essex Terraplane club (incorp 1959) has never in its history had judging, there has never been a supplier in the hobby willing to invest in reman of factory authentic materials.   So "anything goes" as it has here.   Whatever they used is vaguely somewhat similar to the 1953 high-low checkerboard cloth that was in the inserts and door panels.  Original bolsters were plain pattern and they could have tried harder.  But why bother when you can never get a HET trophy for your restoration?

2 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I am not a fan of the material/style of the 53's interior. 

Hudson did have a leather interior option for their closed cars.  Extremely rarely seen.  A former dealer in Monrovia, CA, sent me over to see an old customer's '52 Commodore 8 coupe.  Rich medium dark green leather.  It was SOMETHING I wan to tell you!

The posted '53 Hornet is one of those cars the 14 year old still inside me wants to walk up to and with a dry hand write "WASH ME" on the hood and trunk.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here are some pictures of my old 53 club coupe. I would have been 21 years old when these were taken. It still had a all original interior, with a distinct odor. Maybe that is why I am not fond of those interiors. This car had cookie sheets pop riveted to the bottom of the floor. And then fiber glass poured over the front floors. Fun to get that out.

2D13A5F2-1EAF-4C93-8C74-D5749FB8918B.jpeg

F6E441B5-C106-473A-8B70-6AE3A8C53936.jpeg

70A0CA66-8820-419A-BD7E-379FFA1B2894.jpeg

B95BAA6C-76BC-45C2-8142-0F02DB0EBA3B.jpeg

5F101E85-B724-4E18-86E7-4BADC3A97B7E.jpeg

CE95E6F8-297C-4E60-81C7-B3A76EF228B9.jpeg

C1FE8EBD-830A-4BD1-B21B-F1FD3CC0F421.jpeg

44F87F63-3724-41F6-88ED-0A8E675EAAAE.jpeg

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Because the Hudson Essex Terraplane club (incorp 1959) has never in its history had judging, there has never been a supplier in the hobby willing to invest in reman of factory authentic materials.   So "anything goes" as it has here.   Whatever they used is vaguely somewhat similar to the 1953 high-low checkerboard cloth that was in the inserts and door panels.  Original bolsters were plain pattern and they could have tried harder.  But why bother when you can never get a HET trophy for your restoration?

I understand that sometimes the original material is unobtainable, but period materials instead of shiny polyester plush from the 1980's, please.  The workmanship is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

In the picture of the engine bay. Someone has run a hose from one body of the air cleaner, to the other one. Any ideas on what that might do? If anything?

Total guess...  Someone either had a hard time or didn't try to synchronize the carburetors properly.  That might be some crude attempt to balance vacuum??  If that's it, I doubt it worked well with a hose that big and wouldn't be surprised if it created some undesirable turbulence.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Here are some pictures of my old 53 club coupe. I would have been 21 years old when these were taken. It still had a all original interior, with a distinct odor. Maybe that is why I am not fond of those interiors. This car had cookie sheets pop riveted to the bottom of the floor. And then fiber glass poured over the front floors. Fun to get that out.

2D13A5F2-1EAF-4C93-8C74-D5749FB8918B.jpeg

F6E441B5-C106-473A-8B70-6AE3A8C53936.jpeg

70A0CA66-8820-419A-BD7E-379FFA1B2894.jpeg

B95BAA6C-76BC-45C2-8142-0F02DB0EBA3B.jpeg

5F101E85-B724-4E18-86E7-4BADC3A97B7E.jpeg

CE95E6F8-297C-4E60-81C7-B3A76EF228B9.jpeg

C1FE8EBD-830A-4BD1-B21B-F1FD3CC0F421.jpeg

44F87F63-3724-41F6-88ED-0A8E675EAAAE.jpeg

I am thinking that only a 2 week old murder scene in late July would smell worse.

There was a odor in my latest Hudson coupe purchase . I do not think anything bad happened in there. Maybe I should alert the authorities. I have called the FBI five times in regards to this story in Idaho. Maybe people are not letting my calls go through? 

7C85AB36-2609-4468-A60E-BBCFDA63D616.jpeg

• Like 4

No idea on the filter can to can hose.  It is VERY simple to balance the vacuum draw with a Uni-Syn on the WA-1 Carter single barrel carbs of the Twin H-Power.   That external steel tube on the outside of the intake manifold, front to rear, is a balance device in and of itself with probably multiple times the air volume.  The engineers have it there because they knew valves would be burning causing unequal draws.  Remember there is a problem in the 308" Hornet block casting having to siamese the two center cylinders and losing the waterpassage between them (oh, my!).   The 232 and 262 straight 6 designs with smaller bores never have heating problems.

Agree, the '53 interior material, which looked reasonably attractive when new (so long as you liked either blue or green)  with its abundant cotton stuffing became disastrous when weatherseals and glass gaskets leaked and especially when the mice came up through the floorboards!  Hud Mo Co was last profitable in '50 so the quality of offerings was waning badly into '53 and 54 when the AMC buyout occurred. 

Edited by StillOutThere
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It looks like it could be a good car. First thing to look at on these is the condition of the painted steel trim on the bottom of the doors and fenders. Those trim pieces get trashed when removed, or just rot right off the car. Most coupes have 48-50 stainless steel trim in place of the original painted ones.

• Like 2

At the beginning of the linked clip, the car is a 1952 Hornet or Commodore (not enough detail visible of the fender side front ornament).  At that point the car has the angled verticals in the grille which identify 1952. 

The lengthier part of the clip showing the "shoot-up" of a Hudson were done with a 1953 model which had dropped the grille angle verticals.   So at least two cars were used.  Not uncommon in Hollywood where movie cars are inexpensively rented and not the least bit cared about.

Never rent a car to a movie studio or TV!

A lot does not look right about the car that gets shot up. A hornet is seen at first, and then to me it looks like a fake wasp sedan. The width of the grill does not look right, chrome looks fake and outside bumper guards look to tall. Definitely a waspish car is shot up. With hornet parking lights on it. I think a mocked up front clip was used. I wonder if that hornet is still around? Who has the porky’s Hudson?

• Like 1