How to save a warped door card--'64 Falcon

Littlestown Mike

Most of the door cards and rear 1/4 interior trim are in very good shape.  The exception is the one for the driver's door.  Maybe the window got left down in a rain storm too many times.  The vinyl is pretty much intact with only one small tear. 

Will anything restore the plastcizers to the old vinyl?  I have time to allow something to work, if it will.  

As for the warpage--I see two alternatives.  I invite your observations and suggestions:

1) carefully remove the vinyl and mylar trim and install it on a new piece of waterproof cowl board.

2) lay the warped door card face down on rflat concrete and saturate it--totally wet it down, then cover with a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4" plywood and apply weight and let it dry

IMG_20230317_175240859.jpg

5 hours ago, JFranklin said:

I would take it to an upholstery shop, they probably have seen this type of damage before.

I agree. I would suspect that once you try to remove it from the door that the holes for the retention clips will probably tear away due to the moisture damage that caused the warping in the first place. You can certainly try to carefully peel the covering and apply it to a new board and try to repair the tear, but as for "plasticisers" I personally would use a vinyl spray paint to recolor it (you would probably need to do them all to effect a match.)

Store them flat with a weight on them. magic may happen.😁

I'd be worried about further warpage with wetting it again; even if you laid something heavy on it to hold it flat. That stuff seems to have a mind of its own when it gets wet. Maybe you could glue another piece to the back to stiffen it? Put a weight on it while the glue cures. Just a guess.