Vapor lock and clothes pins

Buick35

• 1 year later...

Ever notice that newer cars don't vapor lock?    They use the same ethanol gas most of us use.   Their designers grew up with old

cars and combined their experience with science.   

The vapor lock happens when the fuel gets hot in the gas lines before it can be vaporized in the carburetor creating a air bubble

that stops the gas flow.   A recirculation fuel system was the answer.   I think most new cars have them.

To fix that problem, they use electric fuel pumps for gas pressure and send the excess gas back to the tank to cool it.  The do this

with a T in the line that splits the gas flow just be for the engine.   The recirculating gas stay cool nd avoid the vapor lock problem.      

Remember big heavy black cars  hold lots of heat and the recirculation eliminates a lot of that.

With old car or copper or metal fuel lines put the T just before the fuel pressure regulator before the carburetor and send the gas

back to the tank in a new line.

Example:   Our 5000 pound (Racing weight) Racing weight) 1935 Chrysler Airflow had two separately switched electric fuel pumps

and a recirculation fuel system. and ran 13 Great American Races without vapor lock and went on to be the Greatrace Endurance

Champion.  And two years later, finish 3rd in class on the Peking tp Paris Race 

The secret was plenty of fuel pressure with a return line to the gas tank, keeping the gas line flowing.   We also occasionally used

both electric pumps while climbing Pikes Peak and the Rocky Mountains in the summertime Great Races.  All those race were n the

heat of summer and I remember 115 degrees outside and 119 in the car.   The gas had to be hot too.

Taxi1991.jpg.a1c9d025cf84089159244d3a27aac52b.jpg

Ok, all you cloths pin mechanics, tell me what's wrong with my proven solution.

• Like 1

The issue with the vapor lock with old cars on a regular basis in recent times has to do with oxygen and moisture  with old cars with OPEN systems.

modern cars besides technology are a closed loop pressurized system. Without moisture and oxygen getting in.

Ethanol is terrible unless you’re running it constantly through the system with OLD cars.

My buddy’s that never listened with muscle cars go for a summer drive and die on the road

Rin Non Ethanol and see the difference

its night and day!

Gtjoey1314.