Changing prewar 1940 GM window regulator shaft. Rivet replacement.

Tom Boehm

Has anyone changed the shaft on a prewar GM window crank mechanism? The shaft the chrome window crank handle attaches to. My car was missing some regulators. I found identical replacements except for the length of the shafts. I have others that have the right size shafts. I want to do a transplant. It is held on with three rivets that could be drilled out. 

Is there a tool available to replace the rivets? 

DSCN7753.JPG

I have repaired them both ways, with small spot welds with a mig and 3/16 steel pop rivets. Most important thing is to has the crank housing flange down tight before welding. Using the pop rivets helps pull the two pieces together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hand Clinchers Rivet Tool | Hanson Rivet

I made a link to a tool to reproduce the factory rivet style. Pop rivets sound like a good idea too. Thanks for the reply from someone who has done it before. 

I have used that type of rivet tool. The hard part is keeping the regulator In control with the rivet head on the anvil, then clamping the housing tight to the regulator, and then striking the tool on the rivet. You need two people or a jig designed to do it with that type of tool. I usually work alone so it’s very hard for me to use that type on a regulator. I’ve tried.

• Like 1