Brakes on 63 Grand Prix updated note

GARY F

When I restored the car a few years ago the complete brake system was new. I put on 8 lugs with new liners. I drive it and have no problem. I am in the process of selling it and the guy drove it today said the brakes chatter. The shoes are generic NAPA shoes. I took it for a drive and applied the brakes hard at about 40 MPH and I did get a chatter. So the question is do I have to take the drums off and have them trued up or is there a different shoe with different lining for 8 lugs.  Thanks for looking

Edited by GARY F (see edit history)

Gary, I'm inclined to think lining material is the cause, especially if you installed "modern" linings when you did the brakes. It's possible there's some dust buildup in there.

OE linings were the evil asbestos which, combined with the steel lined aluminum 8-lug drums, gave Pontiac state-of-the-art braking- probably the best in the industry short of disc brakes. Once disc brakes became common they quickly obsoleted the 8-lugs along with Buick's equally excellent finned aluminum drums. 

Far as I know the 8-lug and standard drums use the same shoes, linings and hardware. I don't know if Pontiac offered sintered metallic brake linings for 8-lugs. That would have been incredible braking albeit hard on drums.

• Like 1

• GARY F changed the title to Brakes on 63 Grand Prix updated note

I am guessing the updated note is the drum turning question? There is no way to know what update you added. 

If you can find a competent brake shop, have them take a very slight cut to see how out of round the drums are. It may only be one that has an issue, so no need to turn the other three larger. Once the material is removed, there is no  replacing it (without finding a specialty shop to sleeve them) or buying new drums AFAIK.

I would pull the drums and lightly sand the metal contact area. 

I would sand or use a heavy file to take any glaze off the linings. 

On drum brakes,  I always put a groove across each shoe.   

Many years back I read a SAE report on brake fade and the groove helps relieve any gas that is 

coming off the lining material during hard (heat build-up) stops.    

Don't know why the manufacturers don't put a groove but that would be an extra step and that cost money. 

Today you can buy aftermarket brake disc that have grooves and holes..... even disc brakes can 

benefit from allowing the gas to escape. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)