Fuel Leaks

Blue90

A couple of weeks ago I developed a fuel leak between the gas tank and the fuel filter.  Too cold to do the work myself I took Blue to my mechanic.  He said he found a "knick" in the line and patched it.  A few days later another "knick" in the fuel line, also patched, no charge.  What are the odds, huh, for a third fuel leak?  Mechanic suggests I replace the whole fuel line.  I'm all with that, except the office person tells me their distributor doesn't carry the part.  Not the first time I've heard that.😒

So I go online to check out parts companies; Rock Auto, Gates, Mr Gasket, JEGS (who sent me the wrong part which I had to return), Summit Racing, Amazon, and more.  Not one had an exact replacement fuel line for the Reatta.🤨

I know the fuel line is nylon, 5/16" inside diameter, 3/8" outside diameter. I do not know the length or if it's molded.

I've had two thoughts:  1)  Get some nylon fuel line in bulk, along with two quick connectors.  2)  Replace front and rear fuel lines with braided stainless steel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have changed my Forum name from Retired w/Reatta to Blue90.  I've been retired for almost twenty years now so "retired" doesn't shape my life, but I still have the Blue90, recently turned 238,000 miles.  Runs and drives wonderfully, except of course for the fuel leaks!🙁

I would check with Jim Finn to see about a complete replacement line. There are three plastic lines connected to the fuel tank, 3/8"fuel pressure line, 5/16" fuel return and 1/4" vapor line to the charcoal cannister. Fabricating your own line seems pretty similar to patching it, but it is unusual to get "knicks" in the plastic line?? My $.02 

Thanks, I have not looked under the car to see how it was knicked.  I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pressure line.  I agree, unusual.

I thought replacing or upgrading with new would be better than used, but I'll give Jim a buzz.

• Thanks 1

Stanley,

I sent you two emails.

I recommend simply cutting out the bad spots and put in a small piece of high pressure fuel line hose with two clamps on each end of the hose. If you wanted you could  replace the plastic hose with high pressure fuel line hose all the way from the splices in front of the rear wheel all the way to the fuel filter as it is only about 4 feet.

This has been done on the lines coming from the tank multiple times with success.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have also spliced-in a section of hard line (steel) in a plastic line using compression fittings to join the pieces.  Use the supplied brass inserts inside the plastic tubing to allow the compression ferrule to seal the plastic tubing without collapsing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Had it towed to another shop who did a splice repair on the fuel line.  The culprit?  Apparently mice!  The mechanic showed me where they were living under the car and in the engine compartment.  I vacuumed out all the leaves, grass, seeds and mouse feces.  I was told to use something aromatic to keep them away.  Branches from the rosemary bush and bags of cat poo; can't miss combo.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1