Question on '20 Dodge Brothers Valve or Carb Issue?

fozz71

My 1920, which I recently got, runs great with gas directly into the cylinders. But I can't seem to draw gas from the carb. I have fuel up to the float bowl and that's as far as I can get; I removed the carb and no gas residue drawing into the engine/

I am stumped- when I crank it manually I can hear a hissing sound from a valve inside but is that enough to prevent a start and drawing gas? But as I said, it runs smoothly and nicely once I get gas directly to the cylinders.

Stumped,

Jim

Edited by fozz71 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Resolved: my metering pin broke free from the carb being sticky and varnished from sitting for years. I peened and soldered the brass washer and metering pin back together and rebuilt the carburetor and the car fired right up again. So, the weak spot of the Stewart Detriot Lubricator is that somewhat delicate metering pin; once the connection weakens it will separate washer from post and then the car won't start.  

Thanks to all who helped and to Myers Early Dodge for an extra metering pin in better shape than my existing one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1