Early transmission ID help please

racer2_uk

Morning everybody,

Can any of the experts out there ID this early transmission, it is very big and I suspect it maybe an early truck unit, it is about 2 feet by 18 inches, it has a gear change mechanism that comes in from the top turret probably from a side gear lever,

587800272_Unknowngearbox(10).JPG.86e579de42a6906becadf6becd7bf393.JPG

it has it's mounting underneath, 2 flat mounts at one end and hollow brass bushed mount at the other end.

957661022_Unknowngearbox(19).JPG.d015be9df6cddadc6aa3be0192c8b3d6.JPG

There looks to be some sort of PTO coming from one end, the top cover is accessed by wing nuts,

1712010078_Unknowngearbox(11).JPG.c01167bf6ac4271ecbd909c9a82a7e33.JPG

there are no marking other than the 2 numbers stamped in.

1698199129_Unknowngearbox(12).JPG.c118b1bcedc9860e545afd9f60008702.JPG

Any information would be greatfully accepted.

Andy

thats quite a unit !...i think it is not really a transmission but maybe more of a engage/disengage unit or possibly a overdrive ? or possible PTO drive unit ?.........also the possibility it is not from a truck,maybe other early equipment ........it seems to have the style and look of 1920s era

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

i bought this one owner low mileage vintage semi.......as it has three transmissions lol......and air power steering........i only post this 60s truck     NOT NEARLY as old as yours  to show that there was some strange big trucks and your picture appears 1920s ,you may have to post it on some large vintage truck sites and sure to get help

002.JPG

This is a Pierce-Arrow 4-speed automobile transmission no newer than 1920.  It was used in conjunction with a cone clutch and is remote from the engine (short front driveshaft, no bell housing).  These were RHD cars and the tower for the shifting rod controls was on the right side.  The "PTO" is indeed the PTO for the air pump, located at the left front of the transmission, which is missing from the subject transmission.  There were several versions of this transmission for the 38, 48, and 66 hp (nominal hp) models.  Below are photos of a 1918 48-B-5 transmission that is a spare for my car.  The "6770" number may be useful to someone more knowledgeable.  I can compare dimensions, but not today.

trans w-air pump.jpg

rear of trans w-air pump.jpg

• Like 6

Evening Grimy and all,

Well done Grimy !

I new someone on here would know, thank you all for your interest and idea's but Grimy has done it.   

Grimy, my gearbox is very similar to your spare, maybe I have a 38 or 66 version or a different year,  did Pierce-Arrow manufacture there own gearbox's or did they buy them in ?

I really appreciate the help from this forum, now I have to decide what to do with it as it was with a large collection of parts I recently acquired.

Andy

im wondering if the unit or at least pto shaft is a heavier one for maybe a pierce x-4 and heavier pto to run a pump on a fire truck.......as they did have pierce firetrucks,maybe the cars used a truck transmission .......and they thought hmmm.......what do we do with this unused pto ........and someone said ......i have a idea

I'm back after a long day on the road.  I have not had the air pumps off from either the one on my car or on the spare, but agree that the PTO shaft in the subject transmission is one stout fellow!  Pierce-Arrow made trucks from about 1911 forward in sizes from 1.5 to 5 tons, and severely curtailed auto production from March 1918 to March 1919 in favor of trucks to be sold to U.S. allies in World War I.  I have no knowledge of Pierce trucks but I believe several have been saved and are being maintained if not restored in the U.K. and on the Continent.  The smaller trucks, perhaps 1.5 and 2 tons, *MAY* have used a transmission similar to the one pictured--I'm sure that the shafts and gears in my transmission would hold up to 2-ton service requirements.  The trucks built in the the 1910s were all 4-cylinder.  @arcticbuicks you may be onto something there.

@racer2_uk I'm happy to compare measurements but have limited time until the middle of next week.  I can do external measurements in the meantime, but am not eager to remove the air pump in the short term.

Evening everybody,

With the help of Grimy and other experts I have now had not only a second ID of Pierce-Arrow but it has been narrowed down to a 5 ton truck of late 1916 to early 1917 manufacture, this was from a restorer of 3 of these trucks and using the stamped in number to give the build date.

Thank you all for your knowledge and sharing it.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1