A different view of a Herreshoff I'd not seen before. Early form of photoshopping?

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

A different view of a Herreshoff I'd not seen before. 

Early form of photoshopping?

index.php?id=1159910&t=w

For the first 25 years of the industry or so , car makers catalogs frequently used heavily re touched photos like this. Quite common in sales material of the day.

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

For the first 25 years of the industry or so , car makers catalogs frequently used heavily re touched photos like this. Quite common in sales material of the day.

Yep. Superimposing a drawing on a photographed background was common back in the day.

I don't think it was generaly a  " superimpositing " of a drawing onto a photo.  I think the usual practice was to start with a photo and re touch the automobile , truck or whatever the product was until it looked like a drawn illustration. Some examples exist of the original photo in its unaltered form and the catalog plate that was derived from the photo. It makes an interesting look behind the scenes of how early advertising material was prepared.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Likely done with an airbrush. This sort of illustration was very common. It was also very time consuming to do and, as such, expensive. Car makers...and all sorts of other industrial customers were very hesitant to re-do an illustration over minor detail changes which is why you have to be very careful, or perhaps skeptical, in placing too much emphasis on small details. The Mitchell catalog I have is completely illustrated like this and several of the illustrations do not agree with the finished product...also, it appears the catalog was printed before the cars were ready to be sold and several of the specifications listed do not agree with the car as it was eventually built.