57 studebaker commander - $3,500 - Northern CA

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/fall-river-mills-57-studebaker-commander/7581175931.html

Strange carb set-up. Is this stock?

What do the valve cover decals mean?

Alternator swap, heater disconnect.

57 studebaker commander, runs and drives. Solid car, not a rust bucket. Body straight, interior clean. Needs carb and tune up. 259 v8. Clean title with pink slip. Email if interested.
$3,500. Obo, serious only please.

email - 60d8ac60bf6231ab9d3d9bb9482d7cf8@sale.craigslist.org

Lots of pictures on cl listing.

00h0h_9WjAYU9msdJ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_g8pTgjKRMxL_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01111_1K9rDlfVgmJ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_fp4gLSIVfgX_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_j0x4qPAT5Nq_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_iqGQ3YfEGF3_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Carb is a Stromberg WW with a right angle air horn. Studebaker did use some. It probably belongs there. The air cleaner does not. The "Sweepstakes 259" decals probably also belong, but I have my doubts about the engine colors.

Someone went nuts with the light blue spray paint under the hood, all over the wires and components.  The chrome T-handle left of the steering column is the overdrive control.  With the V8, stick with the overdrive, would make this a nice driver to enjoy.  Studebaker parts and maintenance advice is excellent through the Studebaker Drivers Club.  The plus for the prospective old car buyers is these 1953-'58 Studebaker sedans attract no serious collector interest in them, so the prices stay relatively low and affordable.  True, one will not profit at the time of sale, their benefit is the enjoyment one can derive from them without great expense or worry.

• Like 3

Cool and affordable. You gotta love the great bumper sticker sized "Sweepstakes"engine decal that Studebaker put on the valve covers! Kind of an odd looking big enclosure on the dash behind the steering wheel. Is that specifically for the turn signal indicators and nothing else? What are the other two colored lights in the center of it?