New Wood For The Barrelback

NewOldWood

Very nice wood work. And a great example of why I don’t do wood………it’s 99 percent artistic talent and 99 percent skilled craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing. It’s a great project.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 1:43 PM, edinmass said:

Very nice wood work. And a great example of why I don’t do wood………it’s 99 percent artistic talent and 99 percent skilled craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing. It’s a great project.

I've never really been comfortable being described as an artist. To me the artwork was in the design, i'm just reproducing it which I have always seen as more technical than artistic, but thanks anyway!

• Like 2

The door frames are all built. The latching hardware is installed in the four front doors, don't have the parts for the tailgate doors yet. Working on cleaning up the gaps on the front doors and then veneering the panels.

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the gaps around the doors pretty much set except for the tailgate doors. Inner and outer panels for the sides are made and have some of them installed. the plywood in the rear door window opening are glass patterns.

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 10:15 PM, Tom Boehm said:

When installed, does the plywood panel above/behind the back fender bend in two directions? It looks like it is convex. 

The shape of that panel wont let it bend into a convex shape. It does bend both vertically and horizontally, but it's more of a twist, more of a spiral or conical shape than convex. It's a lot of fun to fit....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NewOldWood said:

The shape of that panel wont let it bend into a convex shape. It does bend both vertically and horizontally, but it's more of a twist, more of a spiral or conical shape than convex. It's a lot of fun to fit....

"...... it's a lot of fun to fit"!  I'm glad a professional is doing that, otherwise I think a normal human would be driven to suicide! I find working on just the conventional stuff to be more than challenging.🤣

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Making the tailgate door panels out of molded plywood without some very expensive equipment that I do not have would be quite time consuming, so I take a different approach. I make a mold from the door frame and lay up a fiberglass panel from that, then veneer over the fiberglass. There is more labor in the tailgate panels than the rest of them combined. That's it for the panels. Still have a few windows to install and lots of trim to make.

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

• Like 2

I'm so glad you post about your projects. They are always interesting and sometimes I learn something. What an innovative solution to a unique problem. Did you think of using fiberglass? Even if it had been done before, you had the skills to make it work. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally in the home stretch! All the doors are fully assembled along with the quarter panel windows. All the interior trim is made and installed. Still have to build the mounting blocks for the tail lights. Then a couple days of finish fussing and nit picking, and it'll be done!! More often than not I would have to take this all the way through the finishing process and deliver a fully finished body, but in this case I will send it off in bare wood and someone else will make it shiny.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

• Like 1