How do you protect interior woodwork?

Rata Road

I recently purchased a 1951 Rover P4 Cyclops. The previous owner had it 60 years and always garaged it hence the interior woodwork is great condition. I would like to apply something to keep it healthy and protect it from the sun when out and about. What do you use?

image.jpeg.6248f12c4efbfaf31d20d31031589451.jpeg

1870000975.jpg

20221015_095108.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rata Road said:

I recently purchased a 1951 Rover P4 Cyclops. The previous owner had it 60 years and always garaged it hence the interior woodwork is great condition. I would like to apply something to keep it healthy and protect it from the sun when out and about. What do you use?

image.jpeg.6248f12c4efbfaf31d20d31031589451.jpeg

1870000975.jpg

20221015_095108.jpg

Why don't you contact the guy you bought it from and ask. Seems like he knew what he was doing.

• Like 1

X2 asking previous owner what he used, and to make sure it hasn't had any polyurethane applied. If it has, basically all you can do is wipe it down and use a good paste wax on it.

Care for it the same way you would a piece of nice solid wood or wood veneer furniture. This does not mean Lemon Pledge!😄

Damp cotton cloth to wipe it down, another cotton cloth to dry it. Once completely dry, a very light coat of good furniture oil. Gates Red Oil (or Old English if you can find any now), Howard's or Kramer's will all clean and feed your wood.

Based on experiences of a family who owns a lot of Thomas Day furniture and architectural woodwork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

X2 asking previous owner what he used, and to make sure it hasn't had any polyurethane applied. If it has, basically all you can do is wipe it down and use a good paste wax on it.

Care for it the same way you would a piece of nice solid wood or wood veneer furniture. This does not mean Lemon Pledge!😄

Damp cotton cloth to wipe it down, another cotton cloth to dry it. Once completely dry, a very light coat of good furniture oil. Gates Red Oil (or Old English if you can find any now), Howard's or Kramer's will all clean and feed your wood.

Based on experiences of a family who owns a lot of Thomas Day furniture and architectural woodwork.

I should have mentioned oil as it keeps the wood from drying out and cracking, but that is why you should talk to the previous owner first to see what's on the wood. 

That is a neat looking car.
I like the radio under the dash with the controls to the right of the driver.

Makes it so only the driver can change stations or mess with the volume.  As it should be! :P

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zepher said:

That is a neat looking car.
I like the radio under the dash with the controls to the right of the driver.

Makes it so only the driver can change stations or mess with the volume.  As it should be! :P

Then you should find yourself a full-size 1969 Ford!!

(The radio in that Rover is not the factory issued unit.  The factory radio & speaker fits in place of the center glovebox.)

Craig

• Like 1

My dad had 4 different '64 Galaxies, 3 of them at one time.

They were very nice riding cars but they were land yachts of the largest order.
Neat cars but spending time working on them has left me jaded about Fords of that era.
I have no idea why they put certain things where they did or why they had to have an overly complicated power steering system that had almost zero road feel.