1931 REO $ 12,000

Not mine, just passing along in case somebody’s interested. Handsome car, Runs.  4300 pounds, 130 inch wheelbase, 357 in.³ straight eight. If there was ever a car that could be called a “near classic”, I think this would fit the bill. Lots of red.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1155639918417655/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aac47f455-59d6-43a5-8ccc-9dd9482bdf1c

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

From the spec's description, this would be the REO Royale 8-31 which succeeded the 1930 REO Flying Cloud Model 30.   The Royale 8-31 was a somewhat lower spec'd, shorter wheelbase version of the Royale 8-35 designed to sell for about $400-$500 less to garner sales in the nadir of the Depression.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

From the spec's description, this would be the REO Royale 8-31 which succeeded the 1930 REO Flying Cloud Model 30.   The Royale 8-31 was a somewhat lower spec'd, shorter wheelbase version of the Royale 8-35 designed to sell for about $400-$500 less to garner sales in the nadir of the Depression.

I believe the 8-35 is a full classic.  With the same straight eight, and still an ample wheelbase, and a car that was $2000 new in 1931, this seems like a lot of car for $12,000.  Color choices aside. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I believe the 8-35 is a full classic.  With the same straight eight, and still an ample wheelbase, and a car that was $2000 new in 1931, this seems like a lot of car for $12,000.  Color choices aside. 

John:

The Royale 8-31 is one of those 'worthy contemporaries' (my term) for linemate models that were 90-95% the spec's of their Full Classic counterparts.  Not only are they obscure, but they are also largely overlooked.  Were this 8-31 more unspoiled original, it would be a great choice to experience a car of the era.

Steve

44 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

John:

The Royale 8-31 is one of those 'worthy contemporaries' (my term) for linemate models that were 90-95% the spec's of their Full Classic counterparts.  Not only are they obscure, but they are also largely overlooked.  Were this 8-31 more unspoiled original, it would be a great choice to experience a car of the era.

Steve

Steve, I agree.  My term "near classic" wasn't meant to start a fire, I have sat on the sidelines and watched those heated conversations take place.  I'm sure you knew what I meant by it.  A fairly large straight 8, with this wheelbase and costing 2,000 when new would fit the criteria of others that "made the list".  

As for this car, you won't know without going to see it in person.  The color combinations are a hurdle to overcome, but for someone who wants a substantial car of this era, for not much money, and has poor eyesight, it could be the one!

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Steve, I agree.  My term "near classic" wasn't meant to start a fire, I have sat on the sidelines and watched those heated conversations take place.  I'm sure you knew what I meant by it.  A fairly large straight 8, with this wheelbase and costing 2,000 when new would fit the criteria of others that "made the list".  

As for this car, you won't know without going to see it in person.  The color combinations are a hurdle to overcome, but for someone who wants a substantial car of this era, for not much money, and has poor eyesight, it could be the one!

John:

The term "near classic" is as appropriate as my "worthy contemporary" moniker.  Whatever description, they are a badly overlooked and underappreciated model.  REO was trying desperately to field a variety of models and prices to attract whatever few sales that could be generated.  At approximately $2000, the Royale 8-31 was up against some heady competitors including Chrysler Imperial Eight Series CH and Packard Light Eight 900, both which were better established upmarket-luxury nameplates.  None of this diminishes the interest this Royale 8-31 should create now.

The color choices do this rare car no favors.

Steve

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Sailo - you did not post a link to the current re-listing...     Are you referring to the following Facebook marketplace ad? (Not Mine)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1332518577367406/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A15de0510-dd45-403f-a9b1-54d21466507d

From ad "1931 Oldsmobile reo --- $9,500 --- Listed 2 days ago in Corunna, IN --- Listing for a friend, will not reply to is this avaible. Serious inquiries only. 1931 Oldsmobile Reo. Runs, straight eight cylinder motor. 3 speed manual transmission. Front suicide doors. No brakes, throw out bearing or clutch making noise. Milage unknown."

If so, I think this is the REO that sold at Vanderbrink Auction a couple years ago - the damage/bondo coming off in front of driver door scared me off - the current owner appears to have done only a rough touch-up to cover the scary bit.  The car didn't run at auction, so if it runs now, that would be some improvement.

• Like 1

Just to stir the pot...    I don't know where the specs came from in the original post...   the old Facebook link doesn't work...   ...but, if this is the same car that sold at the Vanderbrink auction...   ...and the pictures certainly seem to indicate it....     ... then this is a 1931 Flying Cloud (and that's what Vanderbrink called it - and the engine photo in the Vanderbrink auction confirms it).    A 1931 Flying Cloud with the eight cylinder engine is a rare car - but as we always say, rare doesn't always mean 'valuable.'    I don't know what Flying Cloud parts overlap with the Royale models.   But, if you want rare, restore this Flying Cloud to original glory and you're not likely to run into another one nearby (if ever).   But, I think you have to inspect the car in person to assess the extent of the bondo in it.  Happy to hear competing opinions.  Here is a brochure pic of the 1931 Flying Cloud.

1931REOFC.JPG

Online article --- https://auto.howstuffworks.com/reo-cars.htm

Excerpt...

January 1931 brought an expanded line that ultimately offered two new straight-eights. Model nomenclature denoted cylinders and wheelbase. The larger eight, delivering 125 bhp from 358 cid, was reserved for magnificent new 8-35 Royales on a strong double-drop frame with 135-inch wheelbase. It also powered companion 8-30 Flying Clouds. 

See previous AACA post...

Edited by classiclines
Forgot details (see edit history)

Here is the sequence of the 1931 REO Flying Cloud Model 30 becoming the 1932 REO Royale 8-31 gleaned from a REO history published in the now-defunct Cars & Parts magazine by Menno Duerkson, November 1974, pages 104-105 correlated with the 1931-1932 REO models listed in The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark, page 1284:

Introduced September 1930:  1931 REO Flying Cloud Model 30, 130" wb, 358 ci straight eight, 125 hp: flat radiator shell, grouped hood vents, shorter front fenders possibly shared with REO Flying Cloud Model 25.

Introduced April 1931:  1932 REO Royale Model 8-31, 131" wb, 358 ci straight eight, 125 hp: Royale v'-ed radiator shell, grouped hood vents, shorter front fenders possibly shared with REO Flying Cloud Model 25.

Both share the Murray-built, 4dr sedan, 2dr victoria and 2-4pass coupe bodies with the Royale 8-35.  Both Flying Cloud Model 30 and Royale 8-31 offered the three body styles in basic and Sport trim levels: the former for $1,995, the latter for $2,080.  Both reduced $10.00 for the Royale 8-31.

It's a safe assumption that REO management was trying vainly to develop models that would appeal more broadly while taking the price-conscious Depression buyer's outlook into account.   As was practiced by many desperate automakers then, introducing "1931 1/2" or early 1932 models during 1931 was to somehow boost sales.  REO had produced 33,353 cars for 1927; by 1932 they bottomed out at 3,908...desperate times required desperate measures. 

FYI...

Production Figures...

From REO Club website...

The chart below was assembled from data originally provided some years ago by
former REO ECHO editor Ray Wood and augmented with data published in an early
‘30s Chilton Manual and is believed accurate.

Note that 1931-’32 8-cylinder REOs used two distinctly different engines. The senior
series 8-35 Royale and 8-30 Flying Cloud 8 used the new REO designed and built 9-
main-bearing, 358 cubic inch, 125 hp unit. The 8-25 and 8-21 Flying Cloud 8s relied
upon the 5-main bearing, 268 cubic inch, 90 hp Continental R-800 designed and
produced for REO by Muskegon’s Continental Motors. Both engines were state-of-

the-art designs and utilized modern aluminum pistons, counterbalanced crankshafts

and were both statically and dynamically balanced.

Except for size, bodies for all ‘31-’32 production were similarly styled and designed
under the guidance of Amos Northup and produced by Murray Body Corp, Detroit, MI,
and delivered in-the-white to Lansing for vehicle assembly.

From the production numbers below, it is easy to understand why the majority of us
have only seen at most one or two Model 8-21s or 8-25s in a lifetime.

Unquote

REOProduction.JPG.1f031d951a86df26f62566de921dfcad.JPG

And the engine plate on the car says...

REO Motor Car Co.

Lansing, Mich

Number R800 - 94 (it might be 594 or even 1594)

so, I presume it has the 90 hp engine in it

REOEngineNumber.JPG

Edited by classiclines
fix typo and add pic (see edit history)

yes, this is the same car that was at

10 hours ago, classiclines said:

Hi Sailo - you did not post a link to the current re-listing...     Are you referring to the following Facebook marketplace ad? (Not Mine)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1332518577367406/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A15de0510-dd45-403f-a9b1-54d21466507d

From ad "1931 Oldsmobile reo --- $9,500 --- Listed 2 days ago in Corunna, IN --- Listing for a friend, will not reply to is this avaible. Serious inquiries only. 1931 Oldsmobile Reo. Runs, straight eight cylinder motor. 3 speed manual transmission. Front suicide doors. No brakes, throw out bearing or clutch making noise. Milage unknown."

If so, I think this is the REO that sold at Vanderbrink Auction a couple years ago - the damage/bondo coming off in front of driver door scared me off - the current owner appears to have done only a rough touch-up to cover the scary bit.  The car didn't run at auction, so if it runs now, that would be some improvement.

Yes, this is the listing I was referring to and yes it is the same car at the Vanderbrink Auction.  I looked at today and it does run, but has no brakes.  The bondo is more extensive in the drivers rear fender than the front pillar. All in all, it appears solid. The leaf springs are wrapped and the tires are 17". The dash has been painted and read 33,000 miles as indicated in the Vanderbrink Auction. 

1) I presumed it was a 31 Royale 8-31. Correct?

2) What is the current value?

Did you measure the wheelbase?       Or, did you get the serial number?   (not the engine number)

The radiator and the engine do not appear to be an original configuration - so - I cannot answer the question of what it is without more data.   Hopefully someone else on the forum can - or - you will have to get the wheelbase and the serial number.    Good luck

5 hours ago, classiclines said:

Did you measure the wheelbase?       Or, did you get the serial number?   (not the engine number)

The radiator and the engine do not appear to be an original configuration - so - I cannot answer the question of what it is without more data.   Hopefully someone else on the forum can - or - you will have to get the wheelbase and the serial number.    Good luck

I can tell you by looking at the pictures it is definitely a 131. Also, it has the Royale nose and has a the Royale Dash.

not sure how much more economical these cars were to build. Besides the shorter nose and fewer details, they are practically identical.

Thank you.    If I had to "guess,"  I'd go with motor swap into a Royale - why? - because the firewall connections do not look right for either car - but - it's just a guess.  

Saillo77 is asking for confirmation and value.   The only way I know to confirm is to measure the wheelbase and to find the serial number.   From the REO website, I attach the best info I've found on serial numbers.   I did not buy the car at the auction because Vanderbrink would not measure the WB for me, they said I had to send a rep or go myself - which was not an option at the time.

REOSerialNo.JPG

26 minutes ago, classiclines said:

Thank you.    If I had to "guess,"  I'd go with motor swap into a Royale - why? - because the firewall connections do not look right for either car - but - it's just a guess.  

Saillo77 is asking for confirmation and value.   The only way I know to confirm is to measure the wheelbase and to find the serial number.   From the REO website, I attach the best info I've found on serial numbers.   I did not buy the car at the auction because Vanderbrink would not measure the WB for me, they said I had to send a rep or go myself - which was not an option at the time.

REOSerialNo.JPG

I'm thinking 12k is high given the issue with the engine and the condition.   If that was the chrome-nickel 359 Royale engine sitting under the hood I probably would feel differently.