Entering the USA from Canada with load of swap meet parts

arcticbuicks

I was wondering if anyone has experience entering the USA at border with a trailer load of swap meet parts ? 

years ago i got away with some parts [mostly brass era lights] just scattered in truck headed to back to the fifties or i said i was taking them to a show ,but then another trip i got turned away,the border always asks "are you leaving anything of value in the US " and if they suspect will make you fill a form out for returning -with the items of value .....and i questioned the US border guy .....he went on about commercial carrier licence in USA,a charge for each part  [i think was like $25] going to a pre bought buyer. and simply a NO you cant ......unless i was simply delivering to a USA person that had already bought the parts.......and not a load of multiple parts to different buyers as that is seen as a business,he said the law is...... i cannot do business in the US without proper licencing etc. which would all be huge cost and a business venture making it not worth while........another border officer said   about the only way to do it is to send [mail or shipping company ] individual parts to USA permitted.

All different answers from the border i get asking on different trips crossing,i dont push the questioning much as sometimes it gets them digging or drilling me my trip like 'are you sure this is just a pleasure trip ! ? "

NOTE: this is parts-not cars.

i kind of see this as a grey area,not really doing it as a business with antique parts ,its not trying to compete with an American business,and just used antique parts.I dont see it as a business to want to clean up on my lifelong hobby and sell off what i have with no business intention.

I have bought US vehicles and  parts and imported back to Canada and the vehicles have become a real pain to do,I also have sold quite a few cars to the US and know the rules,and found it best to meet USA buyer at the border or have them come here.........but swap meet parts ?

Edited by arcticbuicks
more info (see edit history)

We ship used industrial machine components and parts to and from Calgary on a regular basis.  Customs requires us to have a designated broker and we have to provide a commercial invoice showing all parts to our customs broker.  The duty paid is a very small percentage of the actual sale price unless you fail to provide the commercial invoice including pricing ahead of time.  This can be a disaster as the duties can then increase exponentially.  The Canadian buyer (or seller as may be applicable) also needs a broker and has to pay customs duties at a similar low percentage.  Perhaps you could partner with a US parts dealer acquaintance to generate a single sale and split the customs broker costs and duties….  But yes it becomes a business arrangement

• Like 1

for example ,i have close to 400 teens twenties complete windshields with posts,dont take much room.......i cannot ID them as i got them from a guys place that was a wrecker way way back and the shed was full...........piles of great no damage fenders and lights all same era.......etc.......there is near zero market here for them.......shipping from here is crazy and few choices to use

I kept a 54' container just over the border that I would store parts in.When asked by customs why I was doing that I told them that storage was 1/3 of the price in a small town down there (true).

If you are planning to sell this stuff at swap meets in the U.S. perhaps you could keep it in a container south of the border. Load up on the way to a swap meet and bring back the stuff that didn't sell and put it back in storage.

That way you are not constantly explaining what you are doing to customs officials.

Just an idea..may or may not work for you based on your location.

US Customs is primarily concerned with drug - gun - contraband smuggling.

Canadian Customs is primarily concerned with tariff/tax collection.

That said - if you get a border inspection who is having a bad day and/or you fit that agent’s profile of a suspicious character then it can be anything from a quick search to a full quarantine.

Then there is the COVID Wildcard.

I stopped transporting in & out of Canada several years ago because of the US Customs Agents unpredictable behavior.

Jim

• Like 2

a lot has changed at the border.......i have never had a problem both ways except doing something not normal and years ago got away with quite a lot..........,and crossed hundreds of times,it sure was closed both ways for a long time with covid but once open again no problem

• Like 1

You might want to post this question in the Hershey section, I know guys from my area have gone and sold but I would call ahead to the US side, tell them that you are planning on taking Antique Car parts to Hershey and get the name of the person who you speak to.  BTW depending on what route you choose watch out around Chicago, unless it has changed in the last few years you will be hitting a toll plaza it seems every ten miles and there's a bonus charge for a trailer.  I don't know what was worse all the extra tolls or all the extra fuel I burned.  Seemed like every time you got up to speed you were pulling into another toll booth.  Might be worth driving through Ontario to one of the border points that other vendors frequent.  

"I stopped transporting in & out of Canada several years ago because of the US Customs Agents unpredictable behavior. "

So very true..I would ad that the Canadian side can be just as unpredictable!

Always a big sigh of relief once we get through the border!

from where i am its too slow through Canada and costly fuel.......we are down now in price from over $9 gal diesel last few months......down to about $1.65 litre X 3.8 i think it is for gallon.......i would head into USA soon as possible in case i got turned away at the border....into north west North Dakota.......i have done the drive years ago to New York and toll roads and ice all the way but used to that.....and gone through Chicago few other times....and yes busy roads